What are you DEHYDRATING today?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can successfully dehydrate seedy berries like blackberries? I have done my blueberries and a few tomatoes (got very few from my "bucket garden") so far. I have wild blackberries coming in now and would love to dry them.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm sure you could, but it's hard to see the end product as very tasty, as ALL that would be left would basically be the seeds... I like freezing mine for use in winter smoothies and to be stirred into applesauce. The only way I would consider drying them would be if the seeds were smooshed out and then the pulp made into fruit leathers or something like that. Who knows? <shrug>

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Good point. :/ I wasn't going to make jam from them because I don't get as many as the birds do. Just a handfull at a time. I suppose I will just have to eat them fresh. :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Well, if you want jam but just can't get enough at one time, how about freezing each handful until you have enough? Then, thaw, smash and make into jam :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
Does anyone know if you can successfully dehydrate seedy berries like blackberries? I have done my blueberries and a few tomatoes (got very few from my "bucket garden") so far. I have wild blackberries coming in now and would love to dry them.
They don't do well as whole berries, but as fruit leather they are awesome! I was very disappointed at the tiny little rocks with very little flavor that I got when I dried a sheet of whole ones.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dehydrated small pear tomatoes. Cut in half and lighty salted. To eat as snacks or to add to things

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I forgot about my dehydrating tomatoes in the oven. Opppsss! They are extra crispy, but will still get used.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did bell peppers. Chopped a gazillion or a pasta salad this past weekend. I figured whatever I did not use I would save. I love the smell of peppers dehydrating.

gina

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I freeze blackberries. It is super easy, just put on a cookie sheet, once they are hard, put them in a baggy. You can save up enoughof them that way, to make something worth while. I make blackberry jam in the winter from my frozen ones. and deserts with blackberry fillings. They mush as they thaw.

I am still dehydrating italian plums in my car, it hasn't been hot enough. Hopefully they'll really get cooked out tomorrow, it's suposed to get really hot. I am tired of watching out for those plums as I am doing errands :p SO almost sat on them today :lol:

dagaul101

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ahh but if you had squashed them that might have quickened the drying as the surface area has been spread nicely :)