What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bartlett pears. Result is turning out well... dehydrator in the basement, and the house smells very nice.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
bananas... those things are to die for!!!!!! i dehydrate them untill they are more like candy... :))))

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WW picked about half of the florets on the hops stool and put them in the dehydrator. The house smelled like hops for the whole day. Once dried they will go into the freezer for storage until I can get the time to make some malt brew that requires hops.
Most of the work being done has been canning lately, though. Drying has taken a back seat. Tried dehydrating some very large zucchini pods but I had no idea that they would turn into a nearly imperceptible, fragile paper thin item. O my, getting them off of the screens was NOT fun.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
WW picked about half of the florets on the hops stool and put them in the dehydrator. The house smelled like hops for the whole day. Once dried they will go into the freezer for storage until I can get the time to make some malt brew that requires hops.
Most of the work being done has been canning lately, though. Drying has taken a back seat. Tried dehydrating some very large zucchini pods but I had no idea that they would turn into a nearly imperceptible, fragile paper thin item. O my, getting them off of the screens was NOT fun.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//
Why put them in the freezer? If they are sufficiently dried they should be just fine on the shelf. If they are not sufficiently dried then they should be dried some more. I dry things specifically so that I needn't take up freezer space.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eons ago, when DH and I were on a 'eat raw' health kick, there was a cracker recipe (made with flax if I remember) that we deydrated. And, it tasted much better than you'd think.... wow.... hadn't thought of that in a long time.