What are you DEHYDRATING today?

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ancho chili's, habnero peppers, scotch bonnets, and hopefully pine apple sage!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomatoes and basil. I think I need another dehydrator mine is going 24/7.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to dry cabbage and I have several heads that split. One canning book says blanch and a site online says its not necessary. What is the best method to use? I don't care about the steps involved but rather the quality of the finished product. Any help is much appreciated.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I want to dry cabbage and I have several heads that split. One canning book says blanch and a site online says its not necessary. What is the best method to use? I don't care about the steps involved but rather the quality of the finished product. Any help is much appreciated.
Well, I've never done cabbage but thought I'd look it up in my book for ya - it says 'optional pretreatment - steam blanch 2-3 minutes over water. You may use 1 t sodium bisulfite per cup water'. So, I'm no help, sorry! :p

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Corn Woman said:
Well, I've never done cabbage but thought I'd look it up in my book for ya - it says 'optional pretreatment - steam blanch 2-3 minutes over water. You may use 1 t sodium bisulfite per cup water'. So, I'm no help, sorry! :p
Thank You SSDreamin I will the try the steam blanch. Just dropping it in a pot of boiling water was cooking it and loosing too many vitamins in the water. You did help me.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've dried and frozen quite a bit of veggie and I steam blanch all the time now.. I find most of the veggies taste better when you deactivate the live enzymes by steaming or at least blanching.
We just picked up two nice cabbages and I may dehydrate some for soup later.

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found some ears of corn in the back of the fridge that were kinda dried out, so I thought about drying them to grind for the chickens in the winter. I found some instructions online that said to take the husks off and put the ears on the oven racks, heat for 8 hours at a low temp.
I have had them at 170 because that's as low as my electric oven goes. They have been in there longer than 8 hours, but instead of being hard like I expected, the kernels are leathery. Is this as dry as they're going to get?
This isn't a variety meant for drying - it's butter and sugar or something like that. Is that the problem?
Any help would be very appreciated.

Zendelle in Maine

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DollDoctor said:
I found some ears of corn in the back of the fridge that were kinda dried out, so I thought about drying them to grind for the chickens in the winter. I found some instructions online that said to take the husks off and put the ears on the oven racks, heat for 8 hours at a low temp.
I have had them at 170 because that's as low as my electric oven goes. They have been in there longer than 8 hours, but instead of being hard like I expected, the kernels are leathery. Is this as dry as they're going to get?
This isn't a variety meant for drying - it's butter and sugar or something like that. Is that the problem?
Any help would be very appreciated.

Zendelle in Maine
I have dried sweet corn, but do it off the cob, and in my dehydrator. The kernels dry to hard little nubbins. Don't know why that isn't happening for you, unless it has something to do with them still being on the cob.