What are you DEHYDRATING today?

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have dried sweet corn, but do it off the cob, and in my dehydrator. The kernels dry to hard little nubbins. Don't know why that isn't happening for you, unless it has something to do with them still being on the cob.
Hmmm... maybe I will cut them off the cobs and see if I can get them to dry further. Thanks!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about 3lbs of smoked and roasted(well that kinda happened at the same time haha) jalapenos and in the dehydrator.. it sure is making the house smell good.. :drool

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did zucchini and cucumber last week.

Just put in bags of frozen veggies (since our garden pretty much only gave zucchini): broccoli, mixed veggies, sliced peppers.

In the freezer are bags of berries, peas and green beans.

QUESTION:
I need to re-read this thread but thought I'd ask anyway: next week i plan to cook a bunch of meat (chicken, pork, turkey, etc) and want to dehydrate much of it. Once its cooked, i can just put it in the dehydrator at around 130-135 degrees until crispy, right?

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Did zucchini and cucumber last week.

Just put in bags of frozen veggies (since our garden pretty much only gave zucchini): broccoli, mixed veggies, sliced peppers.

In the freezer are bags of berries, peas and green beans.

QUESTION:
I need to re-read this thread but thought I'd ask anyway: next week i plan to cook a bunch of meat (chicken, pork, turkey, etc) and want to dehydrate much of it. Once its cooked, i can just put it in the dehydrator at around 130-135 degrees until crispy, right?
about the meat..... my dehydrator recommends 165.... but im not a meat eater so i cant testify... to this.... hope this helps

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
Thanks, Maschil. Wonder if dehydrated cooked meat is shelf-stable in a canning jar (not canned, just lid on).
I put it on the highest setting too(mine is 145F) and I also use a paper towel off and on when checking to wipe off any oil/grease that beads up on the meat.. the fats will cause the meat to taste rancid over time. so if you can cut off any and all fats. I normally only do jerky, Venison and Beef. I've never done any poultry. I'd probably cook chicken/turkey first and then dry. Same with ground meats too.
There are a few good books on food dehydration by Mary Bell. She may have a better answer. our jerky doesn't last long so I couldn't say what the shelf live is.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
3 loads of apples and 1 load of banana chips in the past few days - also dehydrated the peels to grind for apple powder and used the cores to make apple cider vinegar (fruit scrap vinegar), and dehydrated some chopped ginger to use in tea

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mashed pumpkin that has been in the freezer