What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wonder how many rats are living in those boxes..
LOL

You are evil :p

I love it that you guys don't think I am wierd. (Assuming, there.....)
We still think you are weird...but we are weird too :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I'm jealous too!

But I wonder how many rats are living in those boxes..
None. I looked in each and every one ! And at night I am stuffing towels under the door so they can't sneak in.

Stinker.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok weirdo, you're giving me ideas and incentive, thank you so much.
I just love the way it all looks and so organized to boot
It has been perfect dehydrating temperature here. But I wilted. I don't want to do anything that will make the house any hotter than it already is. But I will be stripping the leaves from the oregano that I dried earlier in the season. So the day won't be a total waste.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself, that I didn't have anything to can or freeze, so I got creative.

Today, I am cooking a large pot of pinto beans. I will season them, mash them, add water to make a medium thin consistency, spread them on parchment lined cookie sheets and sun dry myself some refried beans.

I enjoy very much commercially dehydrated refried beans, mixed with beef stock, TVP, cheese sauce powder and a little chili powder. Had that for dinner last night, so got motivated to make my own beans. Commercially prepared ones are almost $5 a pound. And while a pound is a LOT, so is $5.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I pulled out 1 gallon of dried chocolate mint from the dehydrator this morning. Man! I love that stuff in tea all winter. With this summer so cool here, I have already used up half a gallon of leaves from earlier this summer and needed to get my supply beefed up again.

Has anybody dried bluerries? It has been so long for me that I have forgotten the details. The whole family loves homemade blueberry granola. Any tips on getting sweetened dried blueberries?

me&thegals

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I tried to dry bueberries one time, but it was a dismal failure. I heard later that you need to pierce the skins. Mine were almost burned by the time they were dried.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My pureed, seasoned pintos are in the oven overnight, and I am finally able to sit down for a few minutes after spending most of the day helping my parents with some things.

As I was pouring the beans on the cookie sheets, I remembered where I learned to do this, and thought you guys might be interested.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/food-dehydrator-recipes.html

I have done regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans obviously, and pumpkin. On the latter, I ended up sweetening it and adding spices and made pumpkin pie leather, so I gues that doesn't count as "bark".

The potatoes, when I pureed them I added either chicken or beef base so that they are really flavorful, almost toasted. Mine were in the dehydrator too long at too high a temperature, so that's why. But actually, I really like them ! I pulverized them into powder, and I then rehydrate them in hot milk with a pat of butter and it's a whole new taste. If you follow the instructions, I bet yours will be a lot better !!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Perfect timing!!! My husband and young son leave for a getting-to-love backpacking trip with my dad and brothers in 9 days. I would love to have a bunch of dehydrated food for them! My experiment with beets, potatoes and squash ended up molding in the plastic bag I put them in.

I love the idea of dehydrated mashed potatoes. Both husband and son LOVE them and we have about 200 lb of potatoes (probably more) in our garden right now.

I think I will also try making 1/2 and 1/2 blackberry-leftover applesauce fruit leathers for their trip. Thanks for the ideas! I might even use up my leftover frozen pumpkin for pumpkin pie "chips."