What are you DEHYDRATING today?

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
just took another batch of chicken mushrooms out and peeling apples to load it up agian. I sure do love my $80 Excaliber it has only sat idle for long enough to get teh next batch of goodies ready since I got it

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was looking for a like button to push. Good for you

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been doing alot of thinking about things lately. Brain is exploding, esp at nite! :he

One of them is why use the dehydrator when you can put the trays in your car, and save electricity? Is it because most of you have humidity? Just wondering....not criticizing. Dace, TanksHill and FD know what I"m talking about....

My elec bill was $367 this month, due to the well pump, the new pond with waterfall, and the new well booster pump to fill up the storage tank and provide enough pressure for irrigating the grapes, garden, small patch of grass, and my foundation plants. Can't imagine running another machine here. I'm slowly going broke as it is....

fancy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has anyone ever dehydrated star fruit(Carambola)?

Our tree is full of ripe ones, we give away lots of them but thought maybe we can preserve them somehow.

Tried freezing them, the texture was way wrong so what do you experienced people think?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I dried more tomatoes, more peppers, and some bananas today. Tomorrow...sweet wonderful nothing :lol: I'm plan on storing the sweet wonderful nothing in my checkbook with the other kind of nothing :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I've been doing alot of thinking about things lately. Brain is exploding, esp at nite! :he

One of them is why use the dehydrator when you can put the trays in your car, and save electricity? Is it because most of you have humidity? Just wondering....not criticizing. Dace, TanksHill and FD know what I"m talking about....

My elec bill was $367 this month, due to the well pump, the new pond with waterfall, and the new well booster pump to fill up the storage tank and provide enough pressure for irrigating the grapes, garden, small patch of grass, and my foundation plants. Can't imagine running another machine here. I'm slowly going broke as it is....
I put them in the car first, but some days it is too humid. Also, if it takes too long to dry, you lose quite a bit of quality and flavor. So I often start stuff out in the car and finish it in the electric dehydrator. That way it takes far less electricity.

Fancy, I'd just try it! I bet they'll be cute, if nothing else!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
According to Excalibur, my dehydrator uses about 4 per hour of electricity. So I can dry a load for under 50. For me the convenience of having the food right there on the countertop is worth it.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
took out another batch of honey mushrooms and now it is loaded up with cinnamon apple chips. I am sure when DW and DD1 and DD2 get home shortly they will appreciate the new smell. Every one was starting to get a little tired of the mushroom smell. This will be a nice change.