What are you fermenting today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
New YUMMY recipe for some of the ferments you have in your fridge....or may have. Right now I am eating a salad made with:

Zucchini
yellow squash
cucumbers, seeded

All quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced. Toss with a dressing made with a cup of kefir cheese (drained kefir) and a big spoonful of my fermented salad dressing mix. It will be thick, but the moisture from the veggies will thin it out a lot.

This will also make a wonderful dip!

By the way, I do not like raw zucchini or yellow squash, nor do I like kefir cheese. In this combination, wonderful!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I decided to try my mead, that I made a week or so ago. It is quite refreshing, doesn't seem alcoholic at all, has a ever so slightly bitter taste and I think it could be just a touch sweeter. It has a bit of a bite to it, that I like. I've already had two glasses and I think I'll have another. The perfect drink for such a hot day.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What did you add to the brine Catalina?

Currently I have my almonds whizzing in the dehydrator...this time I soaked them in whey and sea salt water...I forgot to do that last time and just soaked them in water for 12 hours.

I can't wait to try one!

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
HiDelight said:
freemotion said:
Have you done this before? How does it turn out? If this is your first time, please let us know how it works! Sounds HIGHLY nutrient-dense! When you add that to yummy, it is win-win!
yes it works beautifully just use your favorite kimchi recipe ..I like to make banchan (Korean side dishes) and most of them are fermented ...the kale is very nice ..just green onions salt garlic ginger chile and a little bit of ground up dried anchovy layer and ferment!

I do all my greans at leaste one batch a year for variety

when I serve it I will drizzle some toasted sesame oil and seeds over it then eat it with rice
Do you mean chile flakes? Do you need the anchovy?
yes the flaked Korean red chile that has no seeds in it and also no you dont need the anchovy but it is good for you adds a nice dimension to the flavor and besides I like it :) I have used powdered shrimp but with the kale it is not very good the dried anchovy melds better with the flavor of the kale

I love me some kimchi!!

I just cleaned my jars and am going to buy some baby napas from a local grower then cut them in quarters salt well and set them aside ..make a stuffing for the leaves with thin sliced mix of garlic chives, chile flakes.. salt and green onions
stuff the leaves and pack the stuffed babies in a jar

ferment :) omg this is the best kimchi ever ..well at least until the next best kimchi ever!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BTW....I went into the grocery store to look at the pickles (peppers, specifically) and saw a small jar with a few grape leaves in it for almost $5!!! When I think of my ferments brewing and the nutrient value and the taste and purity.....we eat pretty darn good here!

I gave my ketchup the sniff test....I made it two days ago using fish sauce, which smells pretty awful....and it smelled pretty good! Unlike the first batch, made without fish sauce, that smelled like lame spaghetti sauce. This one is going into the fridge in just two days since it is hot here and my last batch got moldy with three days on the counter, then into the fridge.

I'm going to let it mellow in the fridge for a few more days before I taste it. It will make a great hot sauce if I don't like it, so I'm not too worried about it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey free, now that I see you over here, I have a question. Once in the fridge does fermentation stop all together or slow down?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Slows way down, but definitely continues. You leave it at room temp 2-3 days to get the lactic acid levels up quickly, which preserves it. The addition of whey gives it a boost that protects it from spoilage that could occur at warm room temp, like summer!