What are you fermenting today?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like the kimchi with regular cabbage recipe. DH is a kimchi freak and I will have a few more cabbage to harvest this year.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've finally started fermenting again. I just had to be sure that the temps weren't going to shoot back up again, but it is past the midpoint of October, so we should be safe! I made almost a gallon of salsa with store-bought tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients were from the garden...except the garlic and salt.

It was weird...I ended up washing the tomatoes with dish soap to get the greasy waxy feeling off the skins. Yuk.

The salsa should be yummy, though. I'll make some bean paste to go with it next week.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I used this recipe and replaced the nappa cabbage with regular cabbage. WARNING: there is a typo. It is supposed to say DAIKON. Not Diadon. It is a white radish. If you don't have any, don't worry though. It tastes fine without it too.

Also you can replace fresh ginger with powdered. Fresh is better, but the powdered also works.

http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/an-intro-into-fermentation-how-to-make-kimchi/
I went to the asonomagarden blog and found the kimchi recipe - thanks.

When I clicked on any of the pics and titles on the right side of the blog pages it took me to flickr and I had to establish a user name because I had never been to flickr before. But after I created my flickr account it tells me that I do not have permission to view any of the links. Am I doing something wrong?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have close to two gallons of salsa started on the counter and am sick of chopping and dicing! And I have close to three quarts of small mixed peppers, whole, in a gallon jar with some water, salt, and whey sitting on the counter as well.

I had some of last week's salsa for dinner and it was quite good! I still have a few mixed hot peppers to seed and dice and ferment, hopefully tomorrow that will get done.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I found that I was accidentally fermenting some alfalfa :lol:

After 3 days of rain adding up to more than 6 inches the hay that SO had fed the goats got quite soggy. When I went out to clean up their feeding and shelter area, I noticed that the hay was piled pretty high. SO had managed to feed the goats nearly a bale of hay in 1 week. Most of which was trampled on the ground. I wanted to clean up the area, since the girls like to lie in this spot and I usually also feed them there. When I picked up the first mess of old wet hay, I relized it was already heating up and was starting to ferment. It took me most of the afternoon to move it out into the pasture area. Now the spot has a chance to dry out a bit....

...before the next rainstorm hits :rolleyes:

My wine is clearing up nicely. The layer that formed on top, seems to be yeast/foam as free had suggested. When I checked one of the bottles upon my return from my trip, some of the material dropped to the bottom. It smells right.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I think I might try kimchi this week. My FIL has a cabbage he's forgoten about (it's been sitting on the counter forever and is starting to go bad (brown leaves)). I figure I'd save it. I've got plenty of sauerkraut already.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cranberries! 'Tis the season, right?

http://collectedquotidian.com/2009/12/18/fermented-cranberry-relish/#more-294

I used this recipe, with a few minor changes. I have frozen cranberies left from last year, bought in bulk at the farm stand (I live not all that far from the Oregon cranberry bogs :)), so haven't any idea how much is in a bag. I assumed 1#, and also assumed that that equals about 2 cups. I used an organic orange, as the peel is included, and chunked it up before putting it in the food processor. I also pounded the spices coarsely in my morter, as I didn't want to end up with huge chunks in the final relish - I used about a teaspoon each of cinnamon, star anise, and allspice, and about a half teaspoon of cloves (measured after pounding). I used 1/4 cup of sugar; I was tempted to use honey, but think I remember reading somewhere (here?) that honey is such a good antibiotic that it isn't recommended for fermentation. And I used pickling salt, because that is what I had. The recipe, as I made it, filled a quart jar about 3/4 of the way. We'll see in a few days how it worked. Oh, and looking at the picture again, I can see that her "medium consistency" is a lot finer than mine; mine is somewhat chunkier.
I had to chuckle at the note at the bottom about temperature: during the winter we set our thermostat to 64* - that is 1 degree less than her "very cold" estimation :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm boring. I'm doing mustard. Again.

Bean paste sounds good tho, haven't made any in a while. Oh, I do have a batch of organic apple cider trying to turn into ACV :)