What are you fermenting today?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Strawberries! My first attempt at wine coached by one of my egg customers.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Monday I started another batch of sauerkraut, this time in a gallon glass jar with whey.

This morning I started the ginger carrots from Nourishing Traditions.

Tonight my salmon should be dethawed so I'm going to use Bubblingbrooks' recipe on fermenting it in the fridge for 4 days before tossing it in the smoker.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Monday I started another batch of sauerkraut, this time in a gallon glass jar with whey.

This morning I started the ginger carrots from Nourishing Traditions.

Tonight my salmon should be dethawed so I'm going to use Bubblingbrooks' recipe on fermenting it in the fridge for 4 days before tossing it in the smoker.
Wouldn't "dethawing" be the same as "freezing"? Surely you want to have your salmon "thawed" or "not frozen"? :lol:
(Sorry, couldn't resist ;))

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:p I never thought about that! I've always "dethawed" stuff. I grew up hearing it that way. I'm going to ask my mom next time I talk to her.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
The ginger carrots I made using the nourishing traditions recipe tasted horribly salty to me when I tested it yesterday. (The recipe calls for 1 Tbsp salt and 4Tbsp whey for 4C carrots packed into a pint jar) Anyone have any ideas for me? Can I just start gradually using less salt until I find the least amount I can use and still get a good ferment?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I found that recipe to be chokingly salty. I think there was a printing error. I would try not mixing much salt in, just a smidge, then sprinkle a tsp of salt on top to protect from mold while the good bacteria is building up. Then you can scrape off the top before serving. I wouldn't use that much whey, either, it is not necessary. Maybe a Tbsp.