What are you fermenting today?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
garden pixy said:
My first ever attempt at fermenting (sauerkraut) has just been placed in the cellar.
You'll be addicted in no time! Mine took a couple of batches before I figured out how to get it right for us. I think results can vary some depending on your temperature. Let us know how it turns out!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I put my fermented black bean paste in the fridge last night and it smells heavenly! Nachos for supper....hoping for some red tomatoes in the garden today! But I cleaned out the fridge and found almost a half gallon of salsa I made late last fall from storebought tomatoes so if that is not too sour, that'll do.

I did have to scrape a little mold off the top of the beans, but I probably should've put them in the fridge after two days instead of three in this weather. The nice thing about ferments is that you can scrape the top off and what is underneath is almost always perfectly good.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The nice thing about ferments is that you can scrape the top off and what is underneath is almost always perfectly good.
My poor sister would be appalled. :lol: :gig :lol: She is obsessive about refrigerating food fast and not keeping leftovers more than a couple days. If in doubt, throw it out is her motto.

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I put my fermented black bean paste in the fridge last night and it smells heavenly! Nachos for supper....hoping for some red tomatoes in the garden today! But I cleaned out the fridge and found almost a half gallon of salsa I made late last fall from storebought tomatoes so if that is not too sour, that'll do.

I did have to scrape a little mold off the top of the beans, but I probably should've put them in the fridge after two days instead of three in this weather. The nice thing about ferments is that you can scrape the top off and what is underneath is almost always perfectly good.
Aww man! I just tossed a batch of beet green kimchi because it has a pea size fuzz ball on it. :( I did sneak a piece. It tasted fine but didn't want to risk it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
freemotion said:

Aww man! I just tossed a batch of beet green kimchi because it has a pea size fuzz ball on it. :( I did sneak a piece. It tasted fine but didn't want to risk it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :hit Sniffle.....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeh, figuring out how long to leave stuff out is tricky. I like mine really sour, so right now it's about 5 days. In the winter it's about twice that. Not sure if stuff just ferments more slowly here? I know bread takes a LOT longer to rise. And the brewers I know say their stuff takes longer too.