What are you fermenting today?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't know about in the states, but in Canada, the organic ketchup does not have HFCS in it. It is pricey though.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Ketchup report: yummy! Had DH taste test it and he asked, do I have to eat the rest of the old ketchup by myself or can we just throw it away?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Abi, I don't know! I cheated and used organic paste from the store... at 50c per can and the only ingredient listed was tomatoes, I went for it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
abifae said:
How do you make tomato PASTE?

:D
Cook and strain tomatoes (don't add water, just roughly chop/mash the toms in the pot, then run the pulp and juice through a seive to remove skins and seeds), then proceed to slowly simmer the juice and remaining pulp and cook it down until it's very, very thick.

Voila! Homemade tomato paste. (Keep in mind, you need a lot of tomatoes for this.)
Will you please give this recipe its own thread so I can find it when my tomatoes ripen? :D Thanks so much! (I'm sure by then there will be a million more pages added to this thread. Garden is slow this year.)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You can also do it like tomato "cheese" :lol: Run the tomatoes through a food processor and dump into cheese cloth to strain out the solids. Can the juice. Can the paste. ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-ketchup/

Go down to the comments section, and right in the first couple of comments is a suggestion to sun dry your tomatoes before pureeing them for paste (though a dehydrator would no doubt work just as well). For those of you suffering in the heat this idea might be more pleasant than simmering a large pot of tomatoes for a long time. Though Oregon's summer has not been so very hot (yet), I still think this is an inspired idea, and intend to make use of it when the tomatoes are ripe.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started a batch of sauerkraut last night for some reason. See, I don't really like sauerkraut, and neither does my husband. But, my son brought home with a cabbage plant from school at the end of the year, so I had this humongous head of cabbage ripe, and no idea what to do with it. The chickens aren't really interested in eating cabbage this time of year, since they can forrage for plenty of greens; right now they want bugs! But, you can use sauerkraut in recipes in stuff, right? The only way I know to eat it is on brats and hotdogs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can use it "medicinally" by having a tablespoon (one good bite) with any cooked meal to make it more digestible. Also, to boost your vitamin C intake, especially in winter. If you eat home canned foods, it will help you digest those, too, and add nutrients that canning destroys. I don't like it, either, but use it in this way. Anyone can eat one bite of something they don't like.....I just think of liver, and suddenly, the sauerkraut is delicious! :p