What are you fermenting today?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I recently made my first fermented salsa ( yum! :drool ), and tonight, I am going to start some fermented black bean dip, and I'll be making some pita chips to go with it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I haven't tried the black bean dip yet, but I need to. It sounds yummy. I have another batch of salsa going. I have a lot of cilantro in the garden. I still have to buy tomatoes though. Can't wait for my own.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm almost 2 weeks into a batch of kombucha. My first attempt. Now I'm thinking about water kefir. Is there a thread about water kefir that I'm missing? Anyone do it? Is there a recommended source of grains? Thanks

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I'm almost 2 weeks into a batch of kombucha. My first attempt. Now I'm thinking about water kefir. Is there a thread about water kefir that I'm missing? Anyone do it? Is there a recommended source of grains? Thanks
It worked. I have a nice Kombucha scoby made from a purchased bottle of Kombucha. I'm now trying to read up on what is the next step. :caf Seems like every website has a bit different instructions/recipe. :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My method for the past few years:

Boil one gallon of water with 5-6 black tea bags and 1 cup of sugar. Cover and let it come to room temp (I put a sticky note on it so no one lifts the lid and it remains sterile) for 24 hours or overnight, whatever it takes in your house.

Dump the cooled tea (minus the tea bags) into a glass gallon jar (hand wash, not dishwasher washed....re-wash thoroughly if it went through the dishwasher) and add a half a cup or so of finished, unflavored kombucha and the scoby, shiny side up if you can tell. It may float or it may sink, either way is ok. Cover with a clean cloth or paper towel, add the date, and rubberband the cover in place. Don't use the airtight lid that came with the jar.

Put it in a dark spot (80 F is ideal but it is forgiving) for a week to ten days, longer if it is cool in your house. Then strain it into clean bottles for the fridge, reserving the scoby (you'll have two now) and a half cup or so of the finished kombucha for the next batch. I try to remember to boil up the tea the day before I will be bottling it up. Write the approximate finish date on your calendar if you are likely to forget it....out of sight, out of mind! :p

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BeccaOH, check out thehealthyhomeeconomist.com and look at her video on making kombucha. All her videos are great!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on what to do with the scoby when I'm not actively making new Kombucha.

Going to look at the video, though I tend to avoid giving time to videos. I'd rather read. :/

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I'm remembering right, she does address that. Also, scroll down to all the comments below the video; sometimes people pose questions there that get answered by her.