What are you fermenting today?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Anyone can eat one bite of something they don't like.....I just think of liver, and suddenly, the sauerkraut is delicious! :p
Well, when you put it that way, I guess sauerkraut does sound pretty delicious. :lol: Thanx for the tips.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homemade Sauerkraut is also different - in a good way - from the canned stuff. DH and I are also not fond of Sauerkraut, but we both like the homemade variety better. Its still not a commonplace at our table, but we do eat it more often than we used to.

I just started a batch of fermented pickle relish yesterday; I'll know in a couple of days if its any good.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started a batch of fermented salsa on Thursday, planning to refrigerate sometime today - Tues., since the recipe says 3-5 days on the countertop. When I looked at it today, it has fuzzy mold growing on the top of it. I scraped it off and put it in the fridge, but why did this happen?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is hard to keep salsa under the brine. You can weight it down with a ziploc filled with brine if you wish, unless you are avoiding plastic contact with your food.

Also, 3 days is too long in hot weather....I tend to go with 1.5-2 days for salsa, unless it is quite cool, which it rarely is during tomato or cuke harvest. I also will generously sprinkle salt on top of the veggies before putting the lid on in warmer weather. I also do some mold scraping....it it still fine....if it passes the sniff test, eat it! Mold cannot grow under the top layer of brined veggies.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh, okay, thanks! I was also wondering about the lid. Does it matter if you use a 2-part canning lid or a plastic lid?
I DID scrape off the mold. I'll have to remember that about the hot days.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use the plastic lid but it doesn't really matter since the fermenting stuff doesn't touch the lid. I think the plastic lid will allow for some gas to escape a bit better.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Put bean paste on the counter next to sauerkraut last night, beet kvass just moved to the fridge. busy canning today because the weather cooled.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Help!!!

My projects are coming to fruition and I need to know what to do next.

1. ACV. Smells about right. Lots of sedament. These were home juices apples. Large mother. Do I strain and store?

2. Kombucha. Large scooby. Started with a half bottle store bought. What do I do now? New tea, transfer scooby?? Refridgerate finished tea???

3. I also have a bottle of vodka soaked lemons for Lemoncello. I need to check the next step on that.

Any advice would be helpful.

G

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can't tell you about the ACV, every batch I've tried to make has gone moldy. :(

Kombucha: Make another batch of tea, let it cool to room temp for a day. Meanwhile, pour your finished kombucha into bottles to store in the fridge. I strain the goobies out, but you don't have to if they don't bother you. Put the scoby back into the container that you make the kombucha in....you can wash the container or not. Add a half cup of the finished kombucha and the fresh sweetened tea and you are good to go!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Tanks -I left the mother in my ACV but there wasn't a lot of sediment (I used storebought apple juice). The braggs grocery store ACV comes with the mother in it so I figured that was good enough for me to leave mine in. I just stuck it in the fridge. Most of the floaty stuff stays at the bottom.