What are you Freezing Today?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When I have whey (not very often unfortunately since I have to buy any fresh milk for cheese practice) I love to give it to my hens. Very full of protein and calcium. ;)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
me&thegals said:
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Do you just add it to the water? (Sorry if that's a dumb question!)
I dump ours in shallow dishes in the chicken/turkey barn and the go gaga over it.
You can also pour it on the dogs' food to liven things up. :)
NO DUMB QUESTIONS HERE!!!

and nope you dont have to add water. its liquidy enough - i get a lot from my summer cheese making. in fact i generally fill one of the hen's shallow pans with crushed corn then pour the whey on top to make a kind of cereal. they love it! and yep you can give it to the dogs over their food or mine are happy to drink it out of a bowl.

i think i read somewhere that you can mix it with some kind of flavoring and drink it yourself! (i havent done that - why drink the whey when you have the milk? hee hee)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
My butt. It's really cold out.
Well, nuts. You beat me to it. I was just logging on to say the same thing!! Great behinds (er, minds) think alike!

I'll be freezing kale soon. It hasn't minded this cold, but now that winter is really here in WI, I will cut a load of kale for the chickens and turkeys, put a bunch in the final winter CSA share and then chop and freeze about 2 gallons for soups all winter.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I was gonna say my toes. i was out working on the new sheep house, standing on concrete drilling in screws. i had to come in to warm my toes up. Eventually I'm gonna have to go back out there.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Big Daddy beat us all! I was going to say toes though...I am well insulated in the other area

:gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Well, geez. Maybe we need to close this thread until we're back to the time of year of actually freezing food! :lol:

Latest posts