What are you Freezing Today?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Today I froze 11 quarts of pinto and black beans. :)

I cooked up about 6 pounds of dry beans with a little onion and salt. When they were tender I packaged them up for the freezer. Makes it quick and easy to grab a bag and toss it in for chili or a casserole etc. Saves over half the price of buying canned beans and is easy to do on a day you are at home. Just stick the pot on the stove and give an occasional stir. :cool:
What did you freeze them in? What size quantities did they freeze in? (If it was quart jars, that answers that). Also, with beans, is there an advantage of freezing over canning? Can you can home cooked dry beans? I honestly haven't been able to find good answers to those on google, lol. :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I froze them in Ziplock freezer bags in 2 cup portions. I scoop them in, squeeze out all of the air and lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet to freeze. After they are frozen I stand them up like files in a filing cabinet in my freezer baskets. I do all of my frozen veggies like that. It makes it easy to find what you need and if you always put new in the back and use from the front of the row you automatically rotate your frozen goods.

Yes, you can - can dry beans. I just find cooking up a batch to be ready to use from the freezer so much easier and faster. Plus I save my jars for things I would rather keep on the shelf like green beans or tomatoes. :D

It is so much cheaper to do it this way I am hooked.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"What are you Freezing Today?"

My butt off!!

382907806.jpg

Sorry, but when I logged on and saw this topic, I just couldn't resist. :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
golly! remember when it was freezing?!? yikes

but hey might as well get this on going again,.....

today i roasted 13 ears of corn, cut off the kernels, and got 4 big quart bags. into the freezer they go -- and because i roasted them on the grill early this morning.. i didnt heat up the kitchen.

:)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am freezing some green beans today. Got a huge bag from the farmer's market where I sell my stuff. If they start to look a little wilted the director pitches them. I soak them in ice water and see what is salvageable (usually about 75%!) and the ducks get the rest :D

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Same here. I just finished loading the dehydrator with zucchini, now on to freezing the green beans.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
6 lbs strawberries that were on super sale, figs that I have collected over the summer (almost got two lbs.), blueberries, cherrys, and peppers. When ever I find fruits that are on sale dirt cheap I buy a few and freeze them. Our fig tree has only produced a few figs a week so I have been slowly collecting them (same with my peppers). We have several pounds of cherrys and blueberries from our local food pantry too.