What are you Freezing Today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
me&thegals said:
Wife--Is there a reason you skin your tomatoes? I'm happily and lazily an all-skins-on tomatoes gal these days :)

Freezing raspberries! It took 2 years for the patch to fill out, but it's turning into a great raspberry year!
Yeah, if you freeze them and taw them, they slip right out of the skins--easy peasy.
Actually, I don't remove the skins at any point. In marinara, they are pureed. In stewed tomatoes, they are not really noticeable or undesirable in the final products, like stew, chili, sloppy joes. They're organic, and it saves a LOT of time, water and electricity to not deskin them. Just my opinion, but I'd be thrilled to save someone else time during this very busy food processing season!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
miss_thenorth said:
me&thegals said:
Wife--Is there a reason you skin your tomatoes? I'm happily and lazily an all-skins-on tomatoes gal these days :)

Freezing raspberries! It took 2 years for the patch to fill out, but it's turning into a great raspberry year!
Yeah, if you freeze them and taw them, they slip right out of the skins--easy peasy.
Actually, I don't remove the skins at any point. In marinara, they are pureed. In stewed tomatoes, they are not really noticeable or undesirable in the final products, like stew, chili, sloppy joes. They're organic, and it saves a LOT of time, water and electricity to not deskin them. Just my opinion, but I'd be thrilled to save someone else time during this very busy food processing season!
I stopped skinning mine after reading this tip here last year and it really saves time and the final product is still wonderful!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Freezing blackberry puree. I picked blackberries like a madwoman, then froze them in buckets. Just thawed the berries and pureed them in my saucer. The puree is going back into the freezer until winter, when I will take the time to make seedless blackberry jam :)

Also freezing 1/2 gallon containers of applesauce. I used to can this, but the family likes the uncooked taste much better (well, cooked once to mush it).

Froze 6 quarts of freezer pickles.

Freezing raspberries on cookie sheets, then dumping into freezer containers for use all winter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Freezer pickles???? :hu

I strained 2.5 pints of elderberry juice into widemouth pint jars and froze them for future winemaking.

I shredded another bucket of zuchinni's and froze them for future catfood making...we can only eat so much zuchinni and those two plants are almost dead but still producing squash! Yikes! But I'll be starting my year's worth of catfood this fall and will be thankful for it then.

I have some holey collards to blanch and freeze for petfood, too.

me&thegals

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Freezer pickles???? :hu
Yep :) You sprinkle the cukes and onions with salt to draw out the water, then cover with a sugar-vinegar syrup and freeze them. They are super crunchy!

I forgot--I froze elderberries for future juicing. Great find on yours, free!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whole tomatoes, until I can find time to do something with them.