What are you planting in your garden this year?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What kind of eggplant do you grow? I'm trying them for a second year. No production last year. Not even sure if I like to eat them. But, I would like to like eating them, if that makes any sense!!!
About 4 years ago at a farmers/craft/all sorts market we bought some pizza from a stand and they put eggplant on it. Needless to say were not so sure about that topping, but decided to give it a shot... I went back and begged them to tell me what they did to it, as that was the nicest pizza I ever had! They told me they cut the eggplant into smallish pieces, brush it with olive oil, roast it in the oven and then try not to eat it all before it makes it to the pizzas lol That may be a way for you to learn to like them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eggplant is rather bland and spongy. The skin usually gets hard when cooking so peel them. You need to salt the slices and let it leach the bitter juice out for a while before rinsing. Then cut up however you want for use.

Think of it as natural tofu after that. It soaks up flavors the same way.

I love eggplant parmesan. Prefer it over the chicken variety.

I also like eggplant cubed small and fried, then used in place of tofu in recipes. It can be added to salad or miso soup or whatever.

Soy makes me seriously sick unless it's fermented.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make low carb pizzas from them. Cut them in rounds, salt them and let em drain for awhile. (I cut them fairly thick because they get quite soft after baking) Top w/ marinara, cheese and add any meat you might like. Experiment with your fav pizza toppings. Sooooo good!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The varieties I'm trying are the long Japanese. They are supposed to be very tender skinned, and mild flavored. Pingtung Long and Diamond.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grow several plants of the big black eggplant..usually Ebony "XXX" depending on where you get them, plus a couple of the small, long and sometimes a few purple white Italian ones. I absolutely love eggplant parm! Actually, I rarely soak mine, or peel. Never felt the skin bitter or tough. I also cube & cook in olive oil with oregano & garlic. YUM!

I slice, saute and freeze. Then use for eggplant parm, or cubed in spaghetti sauce over pasta

Yep, pizza with them as FEM describes is good, quick and excellent for you. They make a great salad if lightly sauted in olive oil, cooled and added to tomato, onion and Italian spices. Also, slice, oil and grill.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good post. Now, look here :old... the many uses that you describe for eggplant, and the flavor and texture of well grown eggplant is the very reason why I want to learn to like eggplant!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now I want to plant eggplant... better go find some seeds!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader Plant them quick, give them lots of heat for sprouting. they are notoriously slow and finicky to sprout. That's the main reason why I bought the salt peter. They are even slower than peppers, and like MORE heat. And they like lots of heat in the garden. They also attract potato bugs.

All this sage advice coming from the gardener who was not successful getting any fruit last year! :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. I'll try but I do not possess a green thumb lol.