What are you planting in your garden this year?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Beekissed thanks! This sounds like something I may try, if I can get hold of the right type of corn!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You'll love it! If you like kraut or pickles, you'll love pickled corn. Let me know if you do it and how you like it.
I love pickles, so I probably will :) If I can find the right type of corn for starters, I may give this a shot and let you know. It sounds like something I'll enjoy as I love corn.

mrghostwalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that the kids are out of the house I try to keep it simple. I also try to plant heirloom whenever possible. We mostly plant Rutgers Tomatoes, Vietnamese Red Garlic, Kentucky Wonder or Blue Lake Pole Beans, Red Potatoes and Waltham Butternut Squash. We also have permanent beds of Asparagus, Horseradish and Rhubarb and several herbs. Sometimes we add cucumbers or radishes. In the future when I have more room I will add more.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Horseradish is on my bucket list. Please tell me how you use it. I also love Rutgers. I do Blue Lake Bush for edible green manure and around my corn. But, by far, my favorite bean is Fortex pole. And have recently discovered Butternut. I never liked the flavor of it until I tried growing it myself. Now, quite fond of it. Suyo Long cucumber is a great heirloom to grow.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Beekissed Do you think an Indian corn would work for the pickled corn? I hear it is good as sweet corn, not too sweet and nutty flavored. I hope to get enough growing this year to be able to eat it as sweet corn - so far been trying to increase my seed bank. That one small handful of corn kernels that my friend gave me is now (2) one gallon bags of seed. I have eaten it raw at milk stage and I like it that way.

Can you imagine pulling out an ear of blue pickled corn and eating for lunch at work? That would get some conversations going. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@Beekissed Do you think an Indian corn would work for the pickled corn? I hear it is good as sweet corn, not too sweet and nutty flavored. I hope to get enough growing this year to be able to eat it as sweet corn - so far been trying to increase my seed bank. That one small handful of corn kernels that my friend gave me is now (2) one gallon bags of seed. I have eaten it raw at milk stage and I like it that way.

Can you imagine pulling out an ear of blue pickled corn and eating for lunch at work? That would get some conversations going. :lol:

Even pulling out a regular yellow ear of corn that smelled of pickling at work would get a reaction. :gig I can only imagine if you had one that "turned blue" from fermentation...they'd think you were eating moldy corn! :D

I'd say as long as they weren't a sugar enhanced or developed specifically for a sweet flavor~and I've never heard of such a thing with Indian corn but I guess it could happen~then they should be just fine. The more young and tender you pick it, the better the result, though even older corn turns out delicious in a pickling crock.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, the crock pot I salvaged from the town dump ended up being a dud. But, it had a nice ceramic crock (?6 qt?) with a plexiglass lid. I've saved the crock, knowing that I will eventually find a use for it. Would it be large enough to use as a crock for salt brined pickles? Got any other suggestions for how to repurpose that crock?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, the crock pot I salvaged from the town dump ended up being a dud. But, it had a nice ceramic crock (?6 qt?) with a plexiglass lid. I've saved the crock, knowing that I will eventually find a use for it. Would it be large enough to use as a crock for salt brined pickles? Got any other suggestions for how to repurpose that crock?

It could, but wouldn't hold many. You'd have to keep them under the brine, so not much leeway in a 6 qt. crock. But if you only want a small amount it should be great.

Can't really think of any other thing to do with that, though, except for keeping a sourdough going.

Latest posts