What are you trying that is new to you this year in the garden?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mostly continuing on with the methods we've developed for our valley over the last 30 years. We're trying a wider variety of hot peppers, though. And a couple new varieties of tomatoes - New Girl, and Defiant.

What's new for me is more in the area of welding & working with steel. Previously, I'd only had skills and equipment for oxy-acetylene (torch) welding. A friend has just recently given me lessons with MIG ("wirefeed") welding, and I can borrow the use of the neighbor's equipment if I truck my project over to his place. (and pay for the electricity, welding wire, and argon gas that I use) I'm happy.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
New for me this year is raised pallet beds. Its a test year so we will see how it goes.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am doing some straw bale gardening this year. Intriqued..especially for cucumbers that always wilt in my soil.:cool:

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The only "new" thing on my plate this year so far is horse radish. I finally got some rhubarb to start, I've been trying for 4 years. I've had it before in MN but never been able to get it going here in IN. I'm also copying an idea I got at a garden center, they now sell these pots for growing potatoes. They are just two pots, one inside the other. The inside pot has a big opening in the side. You plant your spuds and when ready to harvest just lift the inside pot out and reach in the side for tubers. Our soil is pretty much just clay here so anything growing under the surface struggles.

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know it's not 'new', but I do have grapes that are about to flower for the first time this year. I also have a few kiwi plants I trained onto my chain link fence for edible privacy 2 years ago, with luck they will fruit too. Both will be a first for me.

-Ashley

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MiracleWik said:
I know it's not 'new', but I do have grapes that are about to flower for the first time this year. I also have a few kiwi plants I trained onto my chain link fence for edible privacy 2 years ago, with luck they will fruit too. Both will be a first for me.

-Ashley
I'm jealous.. it will be years before I get grapes from the plants I put in last year. they are so tiny but for a buck each I couldn't complain. I have wanted kiwi but the one small plant the kids got me years ago just never thrived and croaked.. :( we have hops back there now and they are happy.. I know that Michigan state U developed a hardy kiwi and it is named after them that is supposed to do very well in my area. I may have to invest in a few females and one male I hope that they taste like the tropical ones.. love those green fuzzy things.. !

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Emerald, I have Arctic Hardy and Meader kiwis, and they are doing great even through snow! One word, the cold hardy varieties grown in the north are NOT fuzzy, they are smooth skinned and much smaller, like a large grape tomato. From what I hear, they are much easier to process, just chuck the whole thing in the blender for puree.

-Ashley

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MiracleWik said:
Emerald, I have Arctic Hardy and Meader kiwis, and they are doing great even through snow! One word, the cold hardy varieties grown in the north are NOT fuzzy, they are smooth skinned and much smaller, like a large grape tomato. From what I hear, they are much easier to process, just chuck the whole thing in the blender for puree.

-Ashley
Yup I knew that.. :) a friend has some.. we love them little things.. ;)

MEMama3

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to try rainbow swing chard, but I'm almost embarrassed to say why. :hide I hate the taste, but it's super pretty and i figure the chickens can eat it.

Latest posts