What are your kids doing today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My kids are on the swings, DS10 is reading aloud, still from Einstein for Dummies. Also reviewing vocabulary flashcards. They've been out there for 2 hours. I'm inside on the couch nursing a congestion headache, just have the window open to confirm he is reading the book.

NH, I'm sorry if you perceived that as I thought your daughter was behind. Oh heck no! Not even close. The district here expects kids to learn 16 letters by the end of 4K. Sounds like she's ahead of schedule -- on her own schedule, as all children are.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I gave in and let DS10 download a game onto my phone (actually I made the mistake of handing him the phone to amuse himself while I was in a meeting and he was bothering me, and he took advantage). Bye-bye phone :\

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No problem:)

Your son loves reading doesn't he? That's great!

My mom works at a public school and snatches up stuff the teachers are getting rid of. She got this big math manipulatives kit for 2nd or 3rd graders (pre common core so it's a mix of what is currently 2nd and 3rd grade curriculum). My daughter found it and is playing with all the pieces. She can do time to the hour and half hour on a "real" clock and can kind of use a ruler but the rest is just messing around with stuff.

Haven't done much else today, not super motivated.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Your son loves reading doesn't he? That's great!

:gig. He loves reading to a fault. Like he would start reading the toothpaste tube as he is putting paste on his toothbrush and be so engrossed he would forget to brush his teeth! And staying up reading ALL NIGHT, sneaking books in his bedframe, under blankets, between matteresses, in his pillowcases. Children who don't sleep at night aren't much fun during the day! They do things like hiding books in the barn and reading instead of doing barn chores (and lying about the barn chores being done). It was really miserable for a while.

I got rid of books except schoolbooks which go in a locked cabinet. We go to the library weekly or more - and store library books in my closet (with a door lock if needed).

:gig. Eager reader problems!!!! :gig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What a wonderful problem to have!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Currently practicing tracing letters on her tablet. Did a "quiz" and she knew 16 letters with no prompts. She wasn't really very focused though. The sun is shining for once, can't blame her!

Also wrote a card to my mom for mother's day so handwriting/letter ID practice.

Think we'll go outside and read on the bench in little bit here.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS10 nearly lost his phone privileges by throwing a whiny fit over something that happened in the game that he was playing. I told him it's bad enough I don't have access to my phone half the time, I am not putting up with tantrums as well! I wish I could get him to read. He has so many books, but he just wants to play games on the phone or PS. When I was his age I devoured books.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I feel your pain @sumi ! :hugs

My DS10 has yet to finish yesterday's chores (sweeping the floor), or cleaning up after himself today. Do all children drop things wherever they are?

We went to the library. DS2 has a new batch of wildlife DVDs about birds. He watched one about owls.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Do all children drop things wherever they are?
Mine does. Wherever he happens to be at the time. On a good day I'd be picking up sweet wrappers going up the stairs here :rant And tidying up after himself is NOT happening either. He's an awesome kid, but my word he is MESSY lol