What convenience foods do you regularly buy?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Maybe we should start a forum to help those who can't resist spending too much time on forums? lol
I need to join that one then. i just came in to get a load of laudry from the washer and had to sit and check the posts. It's baaaad. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am 2 sided on this one......I feed Tony and Nicole packaged stuff...but I don't eat it or very rarely.

I starting losing weight, then jumped on the healthy bandwagon. I do cook meals from scratch literally and buy what Tony wants...he likes some Hamburger Helper, he likes tons of packaged stuff and he gets it..LOL

Me, nope, rarely eat that kind of stuff.

Hmm...convenience, kind of I guess, cause I buy block sharp cheddar cheese (I don't make it..lol), I do buy all produce I don't grow on the farm, buy fruit etc. I sure use the store to eat good I know that!

I do buy canned soups, rice-a-roni, have some of those fake dehydrated tater mixes and such for emergencies to feed the family, canned tuna and such.

I buy everything actually...LOL...from the healthiest non-chemical things that I eat mostly to the worst things I could be getting for Tony and Nicole cause they want them.....like Gummi Bears. Nicole loves gummi bears...UGH--what is that junk??? HA HA HA HA

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
You know- the more I think about this the more I realize just how many prepared products I really do use- like catsup or mustard, sausage or hot dogs. Thess things I have come to think of as I do rice or oatmeal. But they really are not- they have all kinds of things in them that are unknown quantities to me. I use Jello at times too. What about peanut butter- I can remember my Mom making this but I don't have a clue as to how she did it.
Sneaky little marketers- they have brainwashed me into not even noticing- not that I'm going to make my own catsup- although my mom made that too. Oh- mayonaise.......

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
You know- the more I think about this the more I realize just how many prepared products I really do use- like catsup or mustard, sausage or hot dogs. Thess things I have come to think of as I do rice or oatmeal. But they really are not- they have all kinds of things in them that are unknown quantities to me. I use Jello at times too. What about peanut butter- I can remember my Mom making this but I don't have a clue as to how she did it.
Sneaky little marketers- they have brainwashed me into not even noticing- not that I'm going to make my own catsup- although my mom made that too. Oh- mayonaise.......
Peanut Butter - grind up roasted peanuts, and salt and sugar if desired. ;)

MissPrissy has a mayo thread with pictures on BYC.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
See, things like ketchup, mustard etc., are prepared foods, but I wouldn't consider them convenience foods. Even though you could make them from scratch, I still consider them staples. I guess that is something that needs clarification.

I consider convenience foods things like frozen pizza's, store bought cookies, frozen dinners, lunchables, sandwich meat, prepackaged meals as in KD and Lipton noodles and sauce, zoodles, etc etc.

I dont make all of my own bread, but I don't consider stor bought bread a convenience food, I certainly could make ketchup and mayonnaise, but I don't consider them convenience items either.