What convenience foods do you regularly buy?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Granola bars, chips, crackers, cake mixes & frosting... I actually buy a lot of convenience foods, not so much meal type things, but easy snack food for the kids. Easy breakfast stuff too, we are up early.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sometimes breakfast cereal, granola bars. Tortilla chips, spaghetti sauce occasionally. Not too much, actually. My kids LOVE processed food, much to my despair, but they get very little of it.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make most things from scratch and buy very little convenience food because it doesn't fit my criteria for no gluten, artificial flavors or colors, and preservatives. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I love when I find a convenience food I can use.
I buy gluten-free waffles, gf cereal, snack bars, refried beans, tortilla chips, mayonnaise, mustard and BQ sauce.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
keljonma said:
Coffee, tea, coffee creamer for dh, peanut butter, canned olives.
Other than the coffee creamer, I would consider these things staples. Interesting.... Other than the olives--we don't eat olives.

So next question--what do you consider convenience foods?
TO me, convenience foods are those that are part prepared already - those bags of rice with the spices added, and dried mashed potatoes. Frozen dinners, frozen french fries etc.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't know whether you're considering convenience food to include crackers or peanutbutter or my husband's favorite brand of insanely expensive marmalade that tastes exactly like the marmalade that *I* make but that he won't eat harrumph :)P). Or ketchup or worcestershire sauce or store-boughten ice cream?

The only things I can think of that *I'd* call convenience foods are:

I do use Ragu spaghetti sauce (I add spices and veggies and stuff) on a regular basis when my own canned tomatoes and tomato sauce runs out, which doesn't usually take very long. Also we use a can of campbell's cream of mushroom soup here and there, and I have this totally unjustifiable fondness for the occasional box of Rice A Roni (fried rice flavor only) or Zatarain's dirty rice mix. There, now you know my secret vice :p

But that's pretty much it.

Pat

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Breakfast cereals, and pasta sauces. Granola bars for my son. I tried making my own and he turned up his nose.
I did make my own pasta sauce from canned tomatoes from the store tonight. Much tastier.
I recently stopped buying coffee creamer (the dry kind) when Myth Busters showed how flammable it is. That cured my addiction to it right there! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Breakfast cereals, and pasta sauces. Granola bars for my son. I tried making my own and he turned up his nose.
I did make my own pasta sauce from canned tomatoes from the store tonight. Much tastier.
I recently stopped buying coffee creamer (the dry kind) when Myth Busters showed how flammable it is. That cured my addiction to it right there! LOL
It's flammable? :th

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Henrietta23 said:
It's flammable? :th
Is it b/c it is oil based? Or something else?????? Inquiring minds want to know.....!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I'll try to find a link to the episode. It was really scary. I'll check back in a bit. don't mean to leave you all in suspence honest!
Here you go. What would we do without YouTube?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc
I can't remember if they talked about WHY it did that.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Cereals, loaf bread (I can't get mine good enough for sandwiches), condiments, mac & cheese and rice mixes (DS's best friends don't eat alot of veggies), some soups. I'm sure there are more but I don't want to tell all my nasty secrets.

I've given up cake mixes, frostings, cookies, frozen biscuits/rolls, canned biscuits & frozen french fries.

Latest posts