What convenience foods do you regularly buy?

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll fess up to keeping some macaroni and cheese in a box around for quick meals... I usually add some stuff in (maybe tuna and peas, or maybe black beans, hot sauce, and tomatoes...) but sometimes it's just so fast, and satisfies my craving for childhood foods.

Let's see, what else? In a similar vein, I usually have a couple of those pasta-and-sauce-all-set-to-go-in-a-bag things in the freezer for desperately hungry moments. Some of them are pretty darn good. Frozen pierogies on occasion, too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I forgot about my stash of Annie's Organic Pasta and Cheese! My son wouldn't let me give that up. And Morning Star Farms Veggie Corn Dogs. Pop on in the microwave and 1.5 muntes later he's got a little protein. See, it is worse than I thought!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
I'll fess up to keeping some macaroni and cheese in a box around for quick meals... I usually add some stuff in (maybe tuna and peas, or maybe black beans, hot sauce, and tomatoes...) but sometimes it's just so fast, and satisfies my craving for childhood foods.

Let's see, what else? In a similar vein, I usually have a couple of those pasta-and-sauce-all-set-to-go-in-a-bag things in the freezer for desperately hungry moments. Some of them are pretty darn good. Frozen pierogies on occasion, too.
Ok, I buy the chhese powder at the bulk food store. Is that still considered convenience??? We like mac n cheese too, but I don't buy the boxes. You idea with the tomatoes, beans and hot sauce sound good.... we've added the regular ground meat and peas before. I splurge on perogies about once a year.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps I should freeze some mac and cheese, I hate the stuff in boxes or pre-made.

I have to use my favorite cheese - cougar gold, makes THE best mac and cheese EVER.

(left-over ham from thanksgiving, cut into chunks makes a PERFECT additive to mac and cheese!!!)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Okay, since there seemed to be some confusion on my part, I went through the entire pantry, freezer and refrigerator. I found....

1 small bag potato chips my dh bought for his lunch for work.

1 large jar generic coffee creamer dh bought for his coffee.

We are still using the spaghetti sauce I canned last autumn (tons of tomatoes last year). I make our crackers and noodles. I make our own noodles with seasoning or rice with seasonings (and the like) instead of buying boxed. I make everything including mac and cheese from scratch.

So , if I count things like pb, dried milk, coffee, tea and olives as staples..... That is really it! I only have potato chips and coffee creamer. We don't normally buy the chips, but I haven't made any crunchies lately for dh's lunch.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We keep a stock of frozen pizza, because I tend to burn dinner and its nice to have a back up when the food isn't edible.. :(

I'm gonna keep practicing though, practice makes perfect... right?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dreyer's Fruit Bars and bread. I go grocery shopping once every two weeks and I'm really good about resisting temptation til I walk past that last freezer case before check out. So I buy that bars and sometimes a candy bar at the check out line- but only if the line is so long that my store of resistance is used up.

Does cream cheese count as a convenience item?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Dreyer's Fruit Bars and bread. I go grocery shopping once every two weeks and I'm really good about resisting temptation til I walk past that last freezer case before check out. So I buy that bars and sometimes a candy bar at the check out line- but only if the line is so long that my store of resistance is used up.

Does cream cheese count as a convenience item?
I think the bread and cream cheese would be considered staples here.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
RTRChick said:
We keep a stock of frozen pizza, because I tend to burn dinner and its nice to have a back up when the food isn't edible.. :(

I'm gonna keep practicing though, practice makes perfect... right?
See--you need to turn the computer OFF when you're cooking dinner. I also learned the hard way. :D

Just walk away from the forums, just walk away, just walk away..........

Latest posts