what could I put my homemade bread in?

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm giving jams,applebutter, and candy, and homemade bread for christmas gifts, what would be a cheap, but pretty way to wrap my bread in. My only 2 ideas were having my 5 yo color on some wax paper or just wrapping it in christmas paper. Any ideas?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Italy it's all about crust. Any going hard is dipped in a good olive oil with herbs, a dipping sauce, or a good pasta sauce. So used up quickly. Plus bruschetta....heaven, for sure.

Remember that bread is often throw into stews and casseroles thicken.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well maybe you could make a bread mix in a decrotive jar with instructions on how to make.

My family loves bread and we usually don't have leftovers. I got a good deal on a bread maker a couple of years ago so I will usually make a loaf every day or two. When I have a slice or two of stale bread I throw it in a bread bag in the freezer and when I have a bag full I will make overnight french toast or dressing. If I have a recipe using bread crumbs I will throw a slice or two in the food processor or cube some for croutons. Bread crumbs make a nice topping to fancy up any casserole and it makes a nice, cheap substitute for parmesan cheese.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's OK, I end up with pieces of stale bread that I end up giving to the chickens or pigs so you gave me good ideas of what to do with it!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wrapping: furoshiki. It's a Japanese cloth wrapping technique for gifts. Well, Japan didn't invent wrapping stuff in a handkerchief but the internet loves all things Japanese, so you can find lots of pictures of wraps.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I vote for the clear or colored cellophane with a pretty ribbon! Cheap and pretty!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grocery store sells bread bags in the baggie section for a couple of dollars, they come with a tie, but I would wrap with a Christmas themed ribbon as others suggested. Also if you ask the bakery dept they sometimes will give you some of the bread bags with the breathing holes to keep your crust nice. I also around the holidays buy the decorated wax paper to wrap my caramels in and also the Christmas themed saran wrap to do the cookie plates with.
How I package or wrap a gift or food item is one of my quilty pleasures and I love to make things look nice.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I am not into all the decorative christmas wrapping paper. Every year I wrap presents in Plain ol Brown wrapping paper tied with red raffia stufff. gives a old timed look, to go aolng with my christmas tree decorations. I like simple, I don't like all the busy colors. Maybe I could just stick to what I know. So does the bread bag have to have holes for ventilation? Store baught bread dosnt. btw im shipping my gifts to Fl. it usually takes 4-5 days for a package to arrive, reckon the bread will be ok? thanks ya'll.