what could I put my homemade bread in?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My bread starts to mold after 4 or 5 days. (No preservatives in that homemade bread.)
I am not sure how it would hold up with a 5 day ship time.
I was planning on making bread for a few of my local friends and relatives but could not figure out how to make it work out unless I made the bread the day before I gave it to them.
I was going to ask everyone how they stored their bread to make it last the longest. Maybe we can both get our answers.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
really? Moldy after 4-5 days? Well I made bread last week(Sunday), 4 loaves at a time , froze one, gave one to next door neighbors, started eating one, put what was left of that one in a freezer bag in the fridge and put the last one in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge also, we just finshed the bread last night. Mine was fine. Is it because of the fridge?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it may mold before they get a chance to use it. About the bread bags holes are only for serving it fresh to keep the crust crisp not get soft from being sealed (not recommended for shelf life, I thought you were serving/giving right away) What about putting the bread or homemade pancake ingredients in a mason jar with the recipe for making it (like those cute layered ingredient jarred gifts) That may make the trip better. My kids just made for my mom a jar gift for risotto with all the pretty layers. Either way they will love the gift you are giving them. Good Luck!

here is a website that has cute jar recipes http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmas/gifts/bread-mixes.htm also you can go to their home page for more creative and simple ideas.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TX Honky said:
really? Moldy after 4-5 days? Well I made bread last week(Sunday), 4 loaves at a time , froze one, gave one to next door neighbors, started eating one, put what was left of that one in a freezer bag in the fridge and put the last one in a freezer bag and put it in the fridge also, we just finshed the bread last night. Mine was fine. Is it because of the fridge?
Yes it is because of the fridge.
My family does not like cold bread for sandwiches. So it stays out. I do keep some in the fridge and some in the freezer for toast or to heat with garlic butter to serve with meals but for daily sliced bread consumption - its on the counter like store bought. Already sliced and ready to use.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make 2 loaves of gluten free bread at a time. Gluten free goes bad faster that bread made with wheat. I put 1 in the fridge and we use the other one within 3 days. We always put the fridge bread in the toaster oven for a short time and then it tastes fresher.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry just realized how old this post is. Oh well...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another use for stale reads -- bread pudding. In summer, croutons (when we have fresh salad stuff in the garden). Yes, my chickens & pigs get some leftovers.

I like my bread maker as in summer it's cooler than an oven, not to mentions does all but measure & dump in ingredients. Plus, the smaller loaves can be used up faster.

sometimes we do drag up these older threads -- I find them interesting and fun to read/add to.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have read that the best way to keep bread fresh is in a linen bag at room temp. It's supposedly much better than plastic or refrigerating.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love all the ideas. My favorite part of the bread is the crust. A good crusty piece of bread dipped in soup or sauce is sooooo good. Overnight French toast is really more of a bread pudding than French toast. Some people do it low in a crock pot overnight but mine cooks to hot.