what could I put my homemade bread in?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make 2 loaves of gluten free bread at a time. Gluten free goes bad faster that bread made with wheat. I put 1 in the fridge and we use the other one within 3 days. We always put the fridge bread in the toaster oven for a short time and then it tastes fresher.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well maybe you could make a bread mix in a decrotive jar with instructions on how to make.

My family loves bread and we usually don't have leftovers. I got a good deal on a bread maker a couple of years ago so I will usually make a loaf every day or two. When I have a slice or two of stale bread I throw it in a bread bag in the freezer and when I have a bag full I will make overnight french toast or dressing. If I have a recipe using bread crumbs I will throw a slice or two in the food processor or cube some for croutons. Bread crumbs make a nice topping to fancy up any casserole and it makes a nice, cheap substitute for parmesan cheese.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry just realized how old this post is. Oh well...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's OK, I end up with pieces of stale bread that I end up giving to the chickens or pigs so you gave me good ideas of what to do with it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another use for stale reads -- bread pudding. In summer, croutons (when we have fresh salad stuff in the garden). Yes, my chickens & pigs get some leftovers.

I like my bread maker as in summer it's cooler than an oven, not to mentions does all but measure & dump in ingredients. Plus, the smaller loaves can be used up faster.

sometimes we do drag up these older threads -- I find them interesting and fun to read/add to.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have read that the best way to keep bread fresh is in a linen bag at room temp. It's supposedly much better than plastic or refrigerating.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Italy it's all about crust. Any going hard is dipped in a good olive oil with herbs, a dipping sauce, or a good pasta sauce. So used up quickly. Plus bruschetta....heaven, for sure.

Remember that bread is often throw into stews and casseroles thicken.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love all the ideas. My favorite part of the bread is the crust. A good crusty piece of bread dipped in soup or sauce is sooooo good. Overnight French toast is really more of a bread pudding than French toast. Some people do it low in a crock pot overnight but mine cooks to hot.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wrapping: furoshiki. It's a Japanese cloth wrapping technique for gifts. Well, Japan didn't invent wrapping stuff in a handkerchief but the internet loves all things Japanese, so you can find lots of pictures of wraps.