What Did You Dehydrate Today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wondering how many beans you need to plant to get 20-40 lb? I like the idea and think I have the garden space…I’m dehydrating more Comfrey today because I sold out on Comfrey Salve again!

it really is going to depend upon a lot of factors that i cannot easily answer. how good your soil and climate are like, what the water situation is like, what kinds of dry beans you want to grow (some are easier than others, some are bigger than others, etc.). pretty much also depends upon how many fresh beans you might eat from them if they are a mixed purpose bean and if there are a lot of bean predators around. i think i've lost about half of my crop this year. :( so i'll be lucky to even hit 10-15lbs if this season continues how it is already going.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
it really is going to depend upon a lot of factors that i cannot easily answer. how good your soil and climate are like, what the water situation is like, what kinds of dry beans you want to grow (some are easier than others, some are bigger than others, etc.). pretty much also depends upon how many fresh beans you might eat from them if they are a mixed purpose bean and if there are a lot of bean predators around. i think i've lost about half of my crop this year. :( so i'll be lucky to even hit 10-15lbs if this season continues how it is already going.
@peteyfoozer

From the TN state ag department.
For those not enjoying algebra, the yield calculation is row length x plant density × productivity. LOL. Productivity is governed by plant variety, soil/weather conditions, loss to varmints, to name a few.

I always plant double rows of bush beans

Screenshot_20230827-111432_Chrome.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since we're talking math & gardening....now $, has anyone noticed the prices of the lowly, yummy, healthy, dried beans of late? Used to be 30-50 cent a pound. Now, a buck & a quarter plus. :old :(

Yeah, I'll have a few rows planted in 2024. Great northern, red kidney, some speckled Lima type, too.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Since we're talking math & gardening....now $, has anyone noticed the prices of the lowly, yummy, healthy, dried beans of late? Used to be 30-50 cent a pound. Now, a buck & a quarter plus. :old :(

Yeah, I'll have a few rows planted in 2024. Great northern, red kidney, some speckled Lima type, too.
I always wanted to try the cranberry variety
Screenshot_20230827-124912_Chrome.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@peteyfoozer

From the TN state ag department.
For those not enjoying algebra, the yield calculation is row length x plant density × productivity. LOL. Productivity is governed by plant variety, soil/weather conditions, loss to varmints, to name a few.

I always plant double rows of bush beans

View attachment 24409

yes, but those numbers are for fresh beans and not dry beans... ;)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking these limas. I like dried limas to cook and a neighbor had these, which I saw way back then...thought very pretty.

View attachment 24413

I don't think they retain color cooked 🤷. He said taste was excellent.

some people don't like lima beans. i love about every dried bean i've ever tasted.

once you start collecting beans it can be rather wild and crazy. :) i have hundreds of varieties and selections here and have gotten rid of many more by now (because who really wants hundreds of different brown beans?)...