Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't spray here, haven't for over 10 years, and rarely sprayed before that.
I never was concerned about de-worming medicine when I put goat berries in the garden. My thinking was it was basically the same stuff I'd be taking if I had worms, plus the goat berries are a slow release fertilizer as well.
I got hay/urine/manure from our neighbor's goat barn one time before we got our own goats. I introduced pill bugs into my garden from that hay. I knew because they were on the end of the garden where we dumped the urine/hay. Then I got to thinking about how her husband managed the warehouse that shipped all those nasty chemicals and how he'd bring some home once in a while. Ummm, I'll pass.

Anyway, I walked around my garden patch today. It wasn't nearly as weedy as I figured it would be, but a lot of old straw was spread around last fall. Seeing the remnants of last years tomato and pepper plants still clinging to the supports was enough to make me want to buy plants or do something. :barnie But I'll be here by myself for several weeks and can't manage a garden any more, so it's back to thinking about growing a few things in containers on the deck. Sometimes you gotta do just what you can do. Life goes on.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm thinking this year I'll stick to cleaning the parts of the backyard that still needs cleaning of weeds, etc, maintain the berry bed and grow just a bit of the basics (tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli and pumpkin). My garden fork's handle got snapped clean in half and I need to replace it. Ugh.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, might I suggest that you take that "wild space" and do sheet composting, or lasagna gardening there. Just remove the woody stuff, then layer on your materials. Instant gratification by suppressing any new growth, as well as providing a clean slate where you could tuck some pots of flowers or even plant some short season crops immediately!!!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked dandelion flowers. Used my berry picker, which was easier than grabbing each by hand.
20190417_154818.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was up @ 5:30 AM for work, got done around 5:00 PM. Then I ran the tiller in between the rows of my spring / fall garden, I tilled it twice to get the depth i wanted, I got done around 7:00. Eat dinner and now I feel like a whipped pup.

Last edited: