Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Will do! Right now we are just waiting for the rain to bring the seeds up and then we'll start to see things fill in there and get lush. They have better soil structure under their garden than I do....really sandy under there, too sandy really, so this BTE should help with that tremendously, but at least it's not hard pan clay, so it does melons really well! They were overrun with melons last season from just five plants...they harvested 15 really large moon and stars pumpkins from this tiny patch!

Please ignore the weed growth around it....my son is a pretty poor lawn keeper. :oops:

100_4937.jpg

100_4934.jpg

100_4932.jpg
100_4938.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
600 pound granite? Wow, you were working hard!

I was just out checking my garden. The seeds I planted a few days ago are starting to sprout. I planted peas, beets, and broccoli, and three tomato plants. My self-started cucumber plants have a lot of flowers.
IMG_20170918_160531.jpg
1505772166683575230113.jpg
Tomatoes are looking good, and okra and peppers are still producing from the spring garden. We didn't get much of anything from the spring garden, but the fall garden seems to be doing better. I also have 2 squash plants and a watermelon plant growing, plus 2 tomato plants that are growing out in the old chicken bed (the squash, watermelon, MANY cucumber plants and three tomato plants are all growing without me planting them.)
IMG_20170918_161213.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked a yellow squash! :celebrate

Spreading woodchips again today. Have been a slacker for a couple days. Four full garden carts so far today and that's gonna be it for now - shoulder and wrist are objecting. That's ok, I can find plenty of other stuff to do. I love spending time in the garden!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I checked on all my seedlings in the greenhouse. This is the first year I will not buy any veggie or flower sets. Over 500 seeds started.

I also got the arbor anchored and began laying slates in the "Garden Room".

016-May_8.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm totally pooped out!
faint.gif
Been going and going since this morning and got many things done but not as many as one would expect for all the effort and backing and forthing.
wink.gif

There's so much to be done, especially when the weather is this perfect, that I can't seem to settle on just one task....so a lot of running back and forth doing little things in the middle of doing big things.

Worked on some DIY projects, entertained company, and tried to get little chores done in between.

Got the peonies tied back, trimmed up the honeysuckle by the garden gate, removed the mailbox I had in there mounted up on a fence post...was storing hand tools, seeds, etc. in there but the ants took it over and I have dry space under my garden bench for storing things now, so down it came. Put a handle on the garden gate...looks better. Got wire cut for the low tunnel and go the Agribon fitted on there..finally...so it's starting to look like a low tunnel now. Have two more smaller ones to do. Planted a rhubarb plant transplanted from my son's garden...can't ever have too much rhubarb. :drool

Got a few weeds cut down in the garden...almost got a handle on them. Loaded up the truck with things I'll need for a DIY project at my son's garden tomorrow. Planted some Fortex beans, watered a few things in there.

Things I need to do there...put up another CP trellis for tomatoes(first need to buy and haul that item), haul chips like crazy, plant some left over potatoes in there for lack of a better place to put them, same with some onion sets. Reseed a tray of lettuce for the next planting, cut wire for the other low tunnel, plant pumpkins, make cloches for the coming squash plants, and keep up on weeds until I can get chips hauled. Need to lay down some composted DL from the coop on some thin places in the chips before applying the new layer of chips.

What a blessing to have good work to do and the energy/strength to do it, with gorgeous weather in which to do it! :weee The honeysuckle is blooming and the woods around our meadow is filled with honeysuckle, so it smells like I imagine Heaven will smell around here.

I thank God for this beautiful day and the weariness and aching of my body this day...I don't mind hurting from honest, get down in the dirt work. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I noticed the neighbors have been mowing over two rhubarb plants. The previous owner had garden, new neighbor is gone for weeks at a time, and the garden is now weedy dirt bike race track.

DH asked the new neighbor for me if we could dig the rhubarb plants. He said yes! I dug them up. Big massive roots I split into four before planting. I will have to take some rhubarb BBQ sauce and a rhubarb dessert over to the neighbor next time he is home!

I spied some stray strawberry plants and wild columbine in the old garden / current race track. I may ask if I can dig those next time I see him.

Funny-not-funny, I ordered four rhubarb plants and 25 strawberry plants last week. We're leaving open the possibility of a market farm or pick-your-own farm for someday, so I suppose I can't have too many of either.