Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Her crop size could be related to: sprout inhibitor treatment of the grocery store spuds, difference between cultivars, or a difference between soil quality and crop management between your site and hers.

The only way to do a true comparison would be to plant a known cultivar from the grocer alongside the same cultivar from a "seed potato" source. Yukon Gold, Norland, as well as a number of other cultivars are labeled in the grocery stores.

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Procured three tomato plants for our daughter. Decided to give her my cherry tomato plant as my mouth is reacting BADLY to tomatoes now (because of inhaled medicines). I had three cherry tomatoes yesterday and am now sporting a new canker sore and 2 cracks in my upper lip. Good times. :barnie

BUT! Our son harvested the flowers from our ornamental crab tree. Did you know they're edible? I didn't. So are the blooms on the red bud tree. The crab tree blooms are really tasty!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All day long: digging raised bed, installing engineered decking perimeter. Lots of roots and rocks pulled out of that soil. I have at least a dozen Asparagus crowns to be divided up and planted in that bed. It will be amended with black gold from the deep compost/litter in the chicken run. Marked out perimeter for second bed, that bed is now 1/2 dug. Huge rhubarb "colony" midway down that bed. I need to grub that out, divide it and put some crowns at the end of the asparagus beds.

Truck wouldn't start, so I used my car to go pick up some cedar slab wood to edge the garden. May use the best pieces for the flower beds.

This evening, I was serenaded by frogs and bird song while working on the second bed, until it got too dark to work. Supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday. Oh glorious spring. There is absolutely nothing comparable to bird songs, and a gentle rain.

Back is tweaky. It will be an Ibuprophen night. Work tomorrow. I really don't know whether my job or my yard is more physically taxing.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well my little man and I planted some tomato, basil, and bell pepper seeds in our little egg shell starts today. I need to get out and plant my lettuce, carrots and radishes but it's been raining and I'm lazy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sure am now!! LOL Actually, I've been using inhalers for several years now and that's just a side effect for some of us. I usually rinse, but some times it wasn't practical.

Do you have an inhaler diffuser chamber? It helps a lot. I can't deal with just straight into the mouth very well. Only the rescue inhaler is used without when I'm not home.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Put 3 large cartloads of coop litter on future corn patch and also future pepper beds, green's bed, and also a dab on the rhubarb bed.

Let the ducklings stay in the garden most of the day and they finally got it...they started foraging like mad! They definitely loved their day in the garden.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It rained all day long. Sometimes a driving rain, other times not so much. I got tired of being inside after lunch. Went out with intent of gathering eggs. Ended up staying out in the rain for 5 hours. First, I lifted the 12 x 4 raised bed frame. I made the posts longer than the holes for them to go in were deep, so the frame stuck up in the air like a foolish tree house without a floor. I grubbed out the holes with the pick axe. Now, I will only need to trim 2 of the posts instead of all 8. Those 2 locations had rocks that were more stubborn than me. Then, I turned my attention to grubbing out raspberry canes. Got most of the big ol' crowns pulled, trimmed some of the young distal buds which had good root mass to be the beginnings of my new beds. I think I'll keep these plants potted up until after the cane borer and crown borer season is over in my area. During that time, I will solarize the soil in the beds, and amend it well. Might even have time to grow an edible cover crop there before planting the new raspberries.