1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Jun 11, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Spent last evening renovating the last section of the garden. I dug an entire wheel barrow of mint rhizomes out of that area. The mint went absolutely crazy, spreading like wild fire under the BTE mulch. Still a Lot of bits and pieces of rhizomes left that will plague me for some time to come. However, at least they should be fairly easy to pull as they show up through the sawdust in that section. I'm a slow learner. Some herbs simply must spend their lives confined to buckets!

That area will be planted to Roma tomatoes, and perhaps some sweet potato vines, or some potatoes.

My plans to plant potatoes in the sheet compost area have been thwarted by work on the HK mound. So... I will resort to planting the potatoes under the BTE mulch in the orchard.

Next project will be digging the sod away from the outside of the garden fence, and lining the fence with cedar slab wood. I have about 100 l.f. of fence line to go to complete that project. Will check with my saw mill guy to see if he has any hemlock slab!

Raining heavily now. So... no outdoor work today.

Have been having nice salads, and giving greens away from greenhouse. Garlic is very close to sending up scapes. Pole beans and cukes are sprouting. (finally.)

Hinotori likes this.
  2. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:55 AM
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

We ate our first cucumber... shared it onsite, it never made it into the house, lol. Lots of lettuce looking real nice; the head lettuce has little tiny heads nestled into their centers, so cute! I have a mister over them in the hopes that this will keep them from bolting. The winter squash is slowly making a comeback from the snap freeze we had last week; my frost cloth didn't protect them completely, even with 2 layers.
    We are about 1/3 of the way through digging up the last bed. It had strawberries in it, but the couch grass overwhelmed it and it's been pretty much neglected for the last several years. We are turning one of our old, broke down plastic trash cans into a container for weed tea-- best thing I can think of to do with all that couch grass since I can't compost it. I think we'll get a spigot and try to set it up for easy of drawing off the tea. I'm just trying to figure out how high up the can to put it.

Hinotori likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Be sure to put a net over it to exclude mosquitoes. Or they will consider it to be their breeding ground.