flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've had a few cool nights too but i think not so bad that anything minded.

yesterday got another bean garden planted, much of the same today. i have three more gardens to get planted inside the fence and as usual some weeding needs to be done here or there.

now that the easy two gardens inside the fence are done the next one is surrounded by recovered pathways so i can expand my planting in there. yay! a return of useful space to production instead of useless pathways that i kept having to weed. to reclaim the pathways we had to screen the crushed limestone to get all the dirt out of it and then that was reused in some thin spots around the other areas we have mulched. i could redo a lot of this limestone as over the 23+yrs some of it has really gotten packed with dirt and debris dropped by the trees. it is starting to be a lot more work to weed when it gets to this stage where it does make sense to start cleaning it up again, but that sure isn't happening this year...

before i can get this smaller garden done i need to do another bit of work on the bigger neighboring garden which is also going through a mess of a renovation right now and i need this garden to be ready to be planted so today is the day. it won't cost me more than an hour or two. cut off a bit of draintube and scoop up some pea gravel and get that moved. haha. famous last words... so i better get to it sooner rather than later right? :)

at least i have two gardens done. off the checklist, ready to grow. first job of the day is to make sure all of them get a bit of watering to make sure they are moist enough to sprout the beans.

up to 18 varieties of beans planted, not too many of my own crosses or seed lines being planted yet, but i'll be sure to get some more of those going in these next three gardens.

we put so much space into tomatoes this year that i lost a lot of space to those, but i'm making up some of that with reclaimed pathways and redone gardens. just a few days later than i'd like but i think it will be ok.

ok, well, off to the races... :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was 34* at 5 AM today. Not at all impressed. Going to be likewise tomorrow. After that, should warm back up to reasonable temps. But, for crying out loud. IT'S JUNE ALREADY!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have alot of beets that aren't ready yet. kinda frustrating. I think I'll plant more in the fall.

Have you ever roasted them? They are good with a splash of raspberry vinegarette salad dressing on them. Do you can them with clove and cinnamon?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby and I rushed around to get stuff covered tonight, an other frost warning. Some of my potato sprouts that had made it up through the hay mulch got hit with frost last night. And, when I checked my plants on the deck, that were covered with a doubled up sheet, about 1/2 of them were heavily frost damaged. It's June. this should not be! I'm hoping that my stuff does not get hit tonight. My Fortex beans have plastic over them, but the plastic is laying directly on top of many of the plants. I have very few seeds left to re-start if they get killed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Before

1591058847672.png

After

1591058987035.png

My husband pulled the two 32' rows of English peas on the right. I appreciated his help. He gets dizzy bending over, so I let him pull the tallest plants. LOL I make him stop and sit down, but he finished the peas and went to the house. I took a brief break for 3 fried eggs and ice water, then back to the garden until 4 this afternoon. I will finish up tomorrow. My husband can pull the other row of beets, sit down in the shade, cut tops and wash them with the water hose nozzle. This patch is where I'm going to plant purple hull peas.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a chair in the garden to take a break. I have outdoor chairs scattered everywhere. A lot of times, he brings the Kawasaki mule and he sits in that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Before

View attachment 14048

After

View attachment 14049

My husband pulled the two 32' rows of English peas on the right. I appreciated his help. He gets dizzy bending over, so I let him pull the tallest plants. LOL I make him stop and sit down, but he finished the peas and went to the house. I took a brief break for 3 fried eggs and ice water, then back to the garden until 4 this afternoon. I will finish up tomorrow. My husband can pull the other row of beets, sit down in the shade, cut tops and wash them with the water hose nozzle. This patch is where I'm going to plant purple hull peas.

Look there another garden run off of T Posts and baling twine. I feel right at home.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby and I rushed around to get stuff covered tonight, an other frost warning. Some of my potato sprouts that had made it up through the hay mulch got hit with frost last night. And, when I checked my plants on the deck, that were covered with a doubled up sheet, about 1/2 of them were heavily frost damaged. It's June. this should not be! I'm hoping that my stuff does not get hit tonight. My Fortex beans have plastic over them, but the plastic is laying directly on top of many of the plants. I have very few seeds left to re-start if they get killed.

i have extra i can send you for next year if they don't make it. someone gave me a bunch and i doubt i'll be able to use them all. PM me in the fall and i'll send you some more if you lose yours. :)

Latest posts