Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We are getting a badly needed rain, been raining off and on throughout the night and we're still getting a steady fine drizzle. Perfect!!!! Seeds will start hopping up out of the ground now and this will jumpstart many things in the garden. :weee

So...I'll not be doing anything in the garden today, God's tending it today. :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had nearly 4 inches during the day yesterday - had a few hours break and had another 1.5 inches overnight. Yes we needed it - but we're allll caught up now!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The flowers work to not only draw pollinators but they also keep certain unwanted pest away....especially the stinky flowers. Beekissed, you are so right about the Fall beauty!! And easy to collect free seed from the spent flowers...just pull off and set aside to finish drying, once flowers are brown & drooping on those marigold -- for anyone not familiar.;)

Wannabe -- sounds like you have a friend/neighbor who is sharing garden &/or garden space. Boy, could I use someone to come in and help!! I'd love a larger spot but, not enough time to work it. Could share all produce & enjoy the company during the work. :)

Tortoise, good eye to spot the established garden being cut. Some people do not WANT a garden :eek: and most are happy to let you have the plants/root stock. Go for it!

Chic Rustler, good job. That garden is working you but, will one day reward your efforts.

BAY & FEM -- as usual, we keep on plugging. :lol: It would be so nice to have one of year of perfect, weather, perfect soil and perfect plants..... dream on!!! :lol: :old I am determined to get a garden working this year!!! AND to can tomatoes from all these great volunteer plants.

Beekissed mentioned starting seeds out in cold. I read where one lady routinely put seeds into cold soil, put the frames of seed outside, covered with some light protection of mulch and left them. Figuring they will sprout at right time. They did/do. IF you consider in nature that the seeds drop in Fall & sprout in Spring -- volunteers do this if you think about it. Unless you live where there is a really deep freeze line, it should work fine, in theory. :pop
I'm thanking my AGH piggies for not eating all the seeds & planting them for me several months ago. :idunno

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I transplanted wild strawberries and a clematis this morning.

We got a big roll-off dumpster so I started cleaning in the barn haymow. I found about 20 seed packets - herbs and flowers! Score! I put a big plastic shelf unit on the deck to hold seed trays and started planting. I ordered more seed starting trays, tracking says they're out for delivery today!

Edited to add:
I planted potatoes "lasagna style". I had sprouty potatoes from last year in the basement and DH didn't want to put them in the garden because potato bugs were so bad last year. I had a garlic bed that didn't make it over winter - it sprouted in February and died off, no sign of life now. I dumped leftover peat moss I found in the barn on top, dropped the potatoes on, and covered the whole thing with chopped straw and haymow floor sweepings. Done. Watcha bet DH's chickens tear it up?! They're scratching for and eating the sunflower seeds I planted this morning. :barnie

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And sometimes that sadness is a literal truth....

Growing flowers with vegetables is a type of permaculture that isn't really mentioned much, other than talking about companion plantings, but the flowers can benefit the soil, the growth of the vegetables and pollination of the veggies as well. They can not only attract pollinators, hide predator bugs and provide habitat for other creatures that may eat pest bugs, but they can help with pests in the soil as well, as in the case of some types of marigolds mentioned in the links above.
If you want to keep the ladybugs and other beneficials in your garden, some of the smaller flowers like yarrow are a great food source for the predator bugs when pests are not as plentiful.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DD and I planted some flowers today. Random flower mixes she thought were pretty. Yay for not knowing what you're doing! Lol!

Thinned some tomato and pepper plants (makes me so sad to pull perfectly good plants but I should have done it a while ago!). And sorted the rest of the seed packets. Hope to plant this weekend or next.... Hoping for no more frost!!