tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I weeded, DS10 pretended to weed, DS2 smashed, ripped up, and pulled the good stuff we planted, and DH ran a tiller between rows. DH mowed and mulched too. DS2 was filthy! Showers all-around when we came inside!

The first of my perennials are starting to pop up!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FREE potatoes that I didn't get to eat) and tomorrow I will do the whites (same deal, FREE ones).... so, whatever they produce is acceptable
Please let us know how that works! I've got potatoes in tubs that have started blooming. Guess it won't be too long before I find out how they did. It was more of an experiment - and like yours - these potatoes were freebies.

The peas are right on the verge of being ripe enough to pick.
Really wish I had put some peas in.. maybe this fall...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm going to plant some towards fall too. I made the mistake of not planting mine in succession, so I have all of them coming on ripe at once. Since we only eat them raw in salads, I'll be hard pressed to stay ahead of the crop.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm so behind on my garden. I had a ton of raspberries come up years ago and have been fighting them ever since. I never got to them last year, so this year they took over a large section. They are now all dug out and my garden is ready to be planted. I have onions in, but that's it. I'll try for things like peas and spinach in the fall, but will have everything else planted soon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Potatoes in a bag. First time I have tried also, FEM. Had this box in the garage with red potatoes that had sprouts4-6" high ! Had read about this method, had everything and seemed a good time to try or had to toss them. :p I place in an area where I could cut the bags open (will be THE best part) and spread the resulting dirt/mulch around.

I hope to find potatoes in there. It looks strange and I'd like more rigidity to sides. Have an old tub with hole in bottom that I want to do whites in. Guess I will see which works best. :\

A really nice source I have is some strong barrel containers from the laundry where my daughter works. These have had liquid detergent in them. I plan to cut them into sections which will provide rings, place & fill with dirt. A portable raised bed, if you will. If I place them adjacent, at some point I can remove and spread contents into a raised "row", adding shed clean outs to the row in Fall, use the rings in another spot following Spring......well, sounds ok. :clap I'm thinking it will help to establish the "new garden" area over time while producing now.

Washed out they also make nice heavy water tubs. They are quite thick, actually, & have strong handles on top, along with screw off lid opening... 15 gallons, wider than average 5 gal bucket... Could use them to store rainwater for garden use, little soap won't hurt there but, clean out with hose not hard. They have others but, they had dry cleaning solvents so I never take those. The owner saves these for me. :hugs

0604170914a.jpg

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I had DH, DS and family friend unload 10 fifty pound bags of Black Cow cow manure in the garden and for a big pot by the house. Now I'm finally ready to plant squash and cucumbers. I still am thinking about pumpkin, watermelon and winter squash. It's not too late yet to get them planted. Boy I would love to grow some okra but no room in the garden. I think I could plant the vining crops near the pond with good results. It could just grow wild and DH would have to mow until fall if I did that (at least in that one area).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH planted tomato and pepper plants (again), watermelon and cucumber seeds. He watered everything because it's so dry here. I watered newly set carnation plants (they look terrible!) and seed trays. Not much gardening here today!