frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm totally spoiled...but we do have mud, heat, humidty, mud, bugs, mud, humidity, heat and a few other things to contend with, lol. It'll get so hot soon that the tomatoes will stop setting fruit and may or may not pick up again in the fall no matter how much you baby the plants. In late summer - when it's about 179 degrees out is a great time to start a fall garden. Fall gardens do pretty well... broccoli, cabbages and the like will usually keep going all through our (pretend) winter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What zone are you @NH Homesteader and @samssimonsays ? I'm in 4a, but we have a bit of microclimate going on here, so I think of it as 3b.

We plant early. Last year that risk didn't pay off. We had hard frost while apple trees were blooming. This year was fine. We plant starting Mother's Day and the following 2 weeks.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
4b/5a, a local gardening guru says to wait until June, so we mostly do. We plant peas, spinach, carrots, all that stuff in May but wait until June for the rest. I need a greenhouse!

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are considered 3a but lord knows we have seen plenty of 2b and some areas close to us, like 30 minutes or less, are 2b. Night before last we were down to 33* at 6am still :hit

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yikes we've been down to 45 at night and I thought that was bad!

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night we dropped to 44* so not nearly as bad but by second week in august we have 90+* days and sometimes 30* or lower nights. Those swings do a number on everything and everyone. Right now we are still in the process of heating up and road restrictions FINALLY came off a week ago.

Latest posts