sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That cover your son made is really nice! And I envy you your garden, as always… The chickens took care of my surviving strawberry plant, so I gave up. I'll garden at my next house :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Son made me a cover for my Rogue hoe out of a piece of conveyor belt and some green leather he had lying around. Sewed it with wire, then top stitched it with bowstring...he had to use a drill to drill each hole into the conveyor belt material to sew it, so I feel so blessed that he worked that hard on it. He doesn't have any good equipment or tools for working with leather and such, so he did the best he could...took one measurement from it and didn't see the hoe again until he was finished and it fits like a glove! It's not professionally made but I LOVE it!

100_5925-jpg.20816
100_5926-jpg.20817

I'm tickled to have a safe way to transport this thing back and forth between my garden and my son's town garden...this thing is a tad dangerous. Already cut a hole in my spare tire cover.... :oops:

Strawberries keep coming on....

100_5935-jpg.20815

...and spud vines dying back. Reached in to see what's under there and pulled out a respectable sized Red Pontiac, very healthy looking. I'm hoping these compost rings are full of taters from this year's crop and weren't all just tops like last year.

Suckered maters, spread epsom salts, transplanted some romaine out of trays and into shady areas of the garden, tucked in under and around other veggies and flowers.

Finished weeding the whole garden....finally. It will have to be done next week, just like today, as my garden is infested with "quickweed"....you guys got some of this stuff? It's my most persistent weed and may be winning the war.

View attachment 3738

View attachment 3739

That is really nice looking. The hoe cover is a great idea

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The broody coop. If you look, mamas and chicks are underneath.

20170721_171833.jpg

I have a ton of half grown summer squash and even more blooms in there. I'll be prepping most of it for the freezer.

There are 18 very healthy squash plants in that 5.5 ft x 2.5 ft x 8 inch container. Only the weight is giving me concern so I won't plant as many in there next year. It needs water only every other day. I filled the bottom 4 inches with chicken litter taken straight from my deep litter coop. The top 4 inches is good peat free potting mix.

That chicken litter does wonders for the plants.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I LOVE that pic!!!! What a neat place to grow plants! And that is one healthy looking squash, I tell ya.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We dug potatoes, picked tomatoes, tilled under corn, sunflower stalks, potato plants, and green beans(hhaaaaalllelujah!)and Shelly beans plants. Also picked cukes, and 3 gallons of banana peppers and jalapeños. I learned the reach lift operation, and tractor operation basics, and we completed the compost bin and installation after selecting a spot just outside the garden.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Canolli gal! Guess vacay is over and it's back to the garden glut, lol. Whatcha gonna put in the fall garden now that ya tilled under the summer stuff?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I weeded and transplanted, and generally took care of some messes. Feels reeeally good because it's been so neglected. But the plants don't seem to mind. I see tomatoes and peppers growing :clap

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I weeded a little, picked a 5 gallon bucket of peppers and okra. Also found a couple cucumbers and got stung by a fire ant...I hate those things!!