CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fought off the "pollinators" and picked 1/2 5 gallon bucket of okra.

Dum Dum <--- (me) just had to put a row of sunflowers right next to the row of okra.

IMG_20170824_183138095.jpg

IMG_20170824_183618096.jpg

Next year sunflowers go on the far end of the garden!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@crealbilly that's one fabulous harvest you're having this year!

Today we picked 2 figs off of our tree and ate them (the birds had been getting to the ripe ones before us.) This is our first ever fig tree so we're pretty excited about it. I transplanted 2 self started watermelon plants, and dumped a whole bucket of water on them. The ground is so dry right now, it was literally like pouring the water down a hole. I watered my new melon patch. And picked okra. And we picked our first muscadine grapes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wonderful harvests! Can't wait to join you all next year :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked some green beans for seed next year.

I've been growing the same bush beans plants from seeds saved the previous years for several decades. I forgot what kind they are but my kids call them sweet green beans. They don't look so sweet right now though -:lol

I'm pretty sure there is a Bible lesson here... about how a plant produces many seeds. Those seeds have to die before they come back to life as a beautiful healthy productive plant. Yep I'm absolutely sure there's a bible lesson here for me.

IMG_20170904_180921368.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cut more butternut yesterday, 10#. that many more waiting for me, just felt they needed a couple more days. Then, there's another 15 or so little ones coming on. :rolleyes: They're everywhere! It's like zukes produce....at least they store well. And I've given some away.

Cut the grass in the other portion of garden area.....to till.

Today I started to till. WOW, talk about grass roots. It was a really rough ride. It's a pull type tiller, with engine. Got a good cut in but, no where near ready/done. Tomorrow I will remove some of the clumps of grass/root and till some more. What is a nice garden size seems small when you are working with a riding mower pulling a tiller! :D I had left enough room between tomato & lima rows to drive thru BUT the squash has totally covered that, grown thru the tomatoes, over a fence & extending to another portion I need to till. :lol:

Maybe tomorrow I will get a picture of dirt. Today I successfully, tripped in one of the till ruts, lost my balance and placed my hand on first thing close -- the exhaust cover on the tiller. BURN ! Yikes.....that ended tilling for the day. And I was thankful for the cold Coors can I held for over an hr to stop the pain. No, didn't drink it. Just wrapped with a kitchen towel & held it. Now a nice blister at base of index finger. Otherwise all is good. :idunno:clap

Really want to get done tomorrow so I can put out seed, rain set for Wednesday....means a mess on Thurs. :caf