frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I was thankful for the cold Coors can I held for over an hr to stop the pain. No, didn't drink it. Just wrapped with a kitchen towel & held it. Now a nice blister at base of index finger.
Ouch! You coulda held one and drank one for a double dose of pain relief, lol!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Trust me, I considered two...:p But had things to do & had taken Aleve to help. Plus beer doesn't affect me much except it is great on hot day as refreshing.

The cooling helped to relieve the intense pain of it. Some Bactine, & later plain Vaseline to moisten skin for the blister to expand. Those exhaust covers must be 1000 degrees!:eek:

Garden work starts again in about an hr.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know I'm a month too late but was unavoidably held up through the month of August....so finally got my low tunnels established and planted with winter crop greens.

Four 40 in. x 8 ft. frames with Agribon stapled to them, over metal hoops, landscaping fabric on the floor. Planted various romaines and some pak choi under there...I'd still like to plant some kale out in the garden also, just to see if it will grow, then feed it to the chickens.

I had planned to plant some carrots and still may try to do so, but will have to build a carrot box for it, as our soils won't allow carrots to grow....too much clay.

I've never done winter crops before and had wanted to do it right, planting at the first of August, but didn't get a chance to do that. I'm hoping they will germinate and grow well anyway before they go dormant for the winter.

When it gets really cold, I'll apply more hoops attached to the outside of the frame and apply a layer of plastic to the frames to add more warmth there. Bags of leaves at the ends of the rows will help block the wind there and prop sticks on the frames will allow me to regulate the heat there and access the beds.

I had applied chicken manure/compost tea to the beds, as well as Miracle Gro potting soil, under the landscaping fabric and am hoping that will provide enough nutrients for fall/winter growth.

All the romaines I planted are supposed to be winter hardy, as is the pak choi.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am very late with a fall/winter garden too. I just planted 3 tomato plants into big pots today, and put tomato cages around several self started cucumber and melon plants. They have flowers on them, but I just don't know how much time they'll have. I'm still getting some peppers and okra but most of my garden this year was a wash. I have all the seeds for my fall/winter garden but maybe it's too late. We're looking at DIY greenhouse ideas. Our temps have really dropped kind of suddenly ever since Hurricane Harvey hit shore. We've had several nights in the 50's even though a hot, long fall season was predicted (hence the seeds...) Now we're watching Irma... I may just do a bunch of those boxes in a pattern, and frame it in, cover with plastic, and see what happens... Or just enclose my deck and carport for the winter...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cleaned all but 4 squash plants out of the bed today. They were done. I should get what is still growing on the last ones, but that is it. I'm thinking of trying some spinach for the fall.

Peas are up about four inches or so.

We have had misty drizzle this afternoon with high 60s - low 70s. So nice to have normal weather, but it won't last

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I may soak a few peas and plant one per tunnel to see if they will produce some sugar snaps for salads this winter. Just need a handful of those now and again.

We are having some gorgeous weather since the hurricane, with low humidity, plenty of beautiful clouds and chilly nights down into the upper 40s already. Last year we had a warm fall but this year is shaping up differently, so not sure how much growing we have left. I've still got quite a few green tomatoes hanging out there.

I'll likely build me a carrot box this week for planting of winter harvest carrots. Will cover it with Agribon as well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am still picking beans. I'm really sick of beans! Have a few more things finishing up, squash mostly. We have one lonely pumpkin and our tomatoes are still trying.

No fall garden here! Was going to plant kale and carrots but I just never did, oops

I am planning on doing an indoor herb garden though, so working on figuring that out now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm really tempted to plant a small fall garden, but my to-do list is so long already and the weather kept me out of the back the last few days. It's been raining on and off and today the wind is ripping out there. I'm anxious to start clearing the areas I want to garden in and get the chickens penned up. I'm still waiting for their pen, which is at the landlord's place while we're trying to figure out how to got it into my backyard, which is surrounded by neighbouring properties. I have no street access into the back. The chickens pulled off one of the rose buds on my new plants and tried to eat the other one :rant So much for choosing bushes with buds so I can see what I'm getting from them...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I simply cannot believe this pak choi....where has that been all my gardening life???? I planted some on Thursday and it's already up...we've had no rain and it's been pretty chilly at night here, even down in the high 40s. I planted it in low tunnel, so it's getting even less sunlight than it would just planted in the open.

I'm loving how quickly it germinates, how quickly it grows, how hardy it is and how it tastes. I don't think I'll be gardening without this green from now onward.