frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Then we got the 600 pound chunk of granite out of the ground and onto a pallet so we can drag it out
Curious - is that a good thing or a bad thing? When I think of granite I'm thinking counter tops, lol. Can you use it for anything or is it a nuisance?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nuisance. Just glacial deposit. We were lucky it was small enough to move. Whenever I dig or till a new spot, I pull out all the fist size and larger ones.

This rock is about 1x3x2. Im going to go measure it tomorrow to try and get a more accurate weight guess. Granite is 168 pounds per cubic foot.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
drop it along the fenceline. Some of the smaller fist size ones have gone in holes and deep ruts as filler before I put dirt in. I've thought about saving them in a pile then using some for building a raised bed.

Eventually I'll drag this big one up to the end of the drive so I can sit on it when hubby asks me to meet him at the gate so we can go someplace.

We have to drag it out of the field tomorrow. That is the last of our summer window. The rains are coming Sunday. Too much lower land that will puddle and soften.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I bought another rose bush this week and am planning to get the chicken pen area set up soon, so I can get them confined and out of my planned garden space.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We spread some cardboard and feed sacks today and mulched over them. Pulled some lamb's quarters and ragweed, threw it over the fence for the sheep to enjoy.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wish I could say accomplished something out there in the future garden today, but it started raining this morning and it's still coming down, so brought some logs inside to dry off next to the fire and cleaned house most of the day.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the rock drug out and where it is on the gravel. I can move it from there at my leisure.

Couldn't find the tow rope, so I took a length of old damaged hose and ran it through the pallet twice and hooked it to my pickup.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Measured the rock and learned how to do math. Helped that my brain wasn't fried from heat and an asthma attack. I don't know what I did to get the weight number last night.

The thing weighs about 850 pounds