Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting some free round bales of mulch hay tomorrow to put on the garden and will call about other cheap mulch hay

Beekissed I'm sure you know this --- BUT for others, BE SURE there has been no chemicals sprayed on this hay. The herbicides they use to kill weeds in hay fields also stays IN THE GRASS, therefore the hay, and can kill your garden crops.

Fortunately I have an organic hay grower about 40 miles from me and can use his hay.

For those with animals, the hay with these chems will pass into the manure, so that manure will kill out crops if used to fertilize. Just a FYI for anyone who hasn't followed these things.

CONGRATS on free mulch.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed I'm sure you know this --- BUT for others, BE SURE there has been no chemicals sprayed on this hay. The herbicides they use to kill weeds in hay fields also stays IN THE GRASS, therefore the hay, and can kill your garden crops.

Fortunately I have an organic hay grower about 40 miles from me and can use his hay.

For those with animals, the hay with these chems will pass into the manure, so that manure will kill out crops if used to fertilize. Just a FYI for anyone who hasn't followed these things.

CONGRATS on free mulch.

Do you think hot composting would effect the herbicides?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I walked DS2 to the garden today because he's been asking to go. Poor little guy, he was shocked at seeing everything dead. "Pumpkins! Where go?!"

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
If winter is going to be this miserable, I won't mind if we can skip to spring! It's a wet mess outside. I can't wait for warmer weather, so I can start gardening. We went to the pub yesterday evening and someone left a catalogue on the table there. A local (Irish) company selling all sorts of berry, rose and fruit plants/tree at decent prices. They even have figs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM has had some past problems with these herbicides on hay for mulch. There is a thread on here about it, also. Don't know how to find it. There were a lot of gardeners finding no grow issues in gardens. That's kinda/sorta when testing was brought to the attention of gardeners. Free manure, free old hay -- turned out it wasn't so "free".

My understanding is that nothing destroys the chems. Maybe "time" for not using them on the grasses growing but, unsure. To be honest, I haven't used a chemical here in many years (15+) and that was 2-4-D....one of those that stay around. Once I heard about the true issues that were detrimental -- way beyond the great broadleaf weed kill! -- I never used it again. Had only put on 1 field of about 2 acres, so not entire farm.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So -- 27 degrees here this AM -- good morning!!! It's white everywhere with heavy frost.

NO gardening now. Will work fence repairs today (goats - gotta luv 'em!). Removed, cleaned area and put up 200' new fence yesterday! Today, back muscles are a little tight, LOL. But I'm good to go. Supposed to be mid 50's later.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BE SURE there has been no chemicals sprayed on this hay. The herbicides they use to kill weeds in hay fields also stays IN THE GRASS, therefore the hay, and can kill your garden crops.
And that's the truth - been there - done that - got some dead soil to prove it. :(