Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed I'm sure you know this --- BUT for others, BE SURE there has been no chemicals sprayed on this hay. The herbicides they use to kill weeds in hay fields also stays IN THE GRASS, therefore the hay, and can kill your garden crops.

Fortunately I have an organic hay grower about 40 miles from me and can use his hay.

For those with animals, the hay with these chems will pass into the manure, so that manure will kill out crops if used to fertilize. Just a FYI for anyone who hasn't followed these things.

CONGRATS on free mulch.

That's a good heads up for folks....most everyone around here just does hay....I've never heard of or even seen anyone using herbicides in hay fields~costs too much and we don't have that much of a weed problem here. It's just not that important of a crop here as they are usually just feeding cattle and cattle will eat anything. It's a nonissue here.

Now, if folks were growing things like oats, wheat, etc. I could see them using herbicides and the straw from that harvest being tainted, but mostly here in WV there are no such crops...maybe over in OH. That's one reason I don't do straw much...even for bedding, as all bedding here winds up on the garden eventually.

Mulch hay is now in big rolls in the garden...the free stuff...and a few big rotten rolls on the truck and trailer, that's the stuff I paid $10 per for. Also tucked a few bags of leaves around those rolls as I went through town.

It was lovely just to lounge on all that hay as I talked with my brother and his GF, who brought the free stuff. I've always had a love affair with hay...sweet, soft, golden first cut and green, fragrant and wholesome second cut. Hay is just lovely to me! :weee I use it in my nest boxes, in the dog houses, to sit on around bonfires, I've had many a fond memories of it on hay rides and even some memories in barns that are best forgotten, but still sweetly remembered for the setting. There's nothing like the smell of fresh mowed hay in the fields.

These wood chips have been pure murder on my knees and legs these past 3 yrs, so it will be so nice to get back to cushy, soft hay for kneeling upon.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are right -- some areas just do not use weed killers. Here, there is a difference. Guy has lots of lovely hay just across the street from me -- won't use it as I see him spraying it and have asked what he's using. The horse people feel it's ok as many do not use it for more than feeding and want the gorgeous, weed free stuff. It doesn't hurt the horses, just ruins the hay and the horse manure for use in your gardens.

ENJOY that hay!! I, too, love the sweet smell of fresh hay. :)

And, I use it as you -- bedding, etc. Even if costly hay, there is always some "waste" and the chickens love to nest in it. Cats bed down in it in the barn.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People don't use that stuff too much here either, but a lot of people bring in "horse hay" from NY and I wonder about that. None of my hay is weed free, but the goats are cool with that! I have some hay for the garden actually, that never dried properly before baling. At least it's good for something!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Peas...from winter garden...sounds amazing

I did some garden stuff yesterday. Cleaned-up garden stuff that should have been done in the spring! At least everything is put away before it snows! (ok, it has snowed a tiny bit already, but a dusting doesn't count ;))

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Despite being sick today, I hauled some old hay over to the garden for mulch. Tarped another section. Really hoping to have a better garden next year; every little bit of prep helps :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Despite being sick today, I hauled some old hay over to the garden for mulch. Tarped another section. Really hoping to have a better garden next year; every little bit of prep helps :)
Get feeling better! :hugs

I'm in the same boat now, prepping (or will soon) for next year's garden. Spring will be here soon enough at the rate time's flying.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marked a plot for next years garden! Not that I'll be able to do much with it next year, I don't have any machinery to turn the soil over (currently a hay field and overgrown bush). But at least I can see where the future lies :)