treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I'd like to do! I was just telling DH last night that I needed some muscle to get the hay over there. It's close which is great, but not particularly mobile.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
***Though I should note that I will likely require more intensive methods to get rid of perennial weeds and other deep rooted plants. Plus years of soil amending to turn this clay into something more loam-like.

But I have been dreaming lol. I have visions of this bountiful garden now. Hopefully I can get some hay down in a section and have something to work with in the spring!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS dragged home a pile of boxes and I'm wondering where to use them in my future garden, when the time comes. I.e. making peace with the pile of empty boxes creating an eye sore in my back yard at the moment! LOL I'm thinking I'll probably put them under the pumpkins when they get growing… I picked up all the rubbish in the backyard (here when I moved in) and put it in a bag on the side of the yard. BIG mistake. The dang chickens ripped into the bag and the wind did the rest. I have so much work to do out there still.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They sound perfect for placing under a mulch layer of your new garden plot for additional weed suppression and grass kill in that area. By spring you should be able to plant through them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a great idea, @Beekissed I'll do that soon. I hear we're in for some freezing weather the next two days and snow in parts of the country. It's very early for snow.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Meant to write this yesterday:

mulched!

Got about 25'x50' done, may be all for this year but it's a start :) DH was able to pull out some old haybales for me with the tractor. Will be interesting to see if it does any good in the spring.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got my R.H. Shumway seed catalog today!!!! :weee :weee :weee Though I don't order as much from it as I used to do, it's my favorite seed catalog for many reasons....I LOVE the illustrations, descriptions and also the varieties. It just has an old fashioned vibe that I love.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful. I love looking at seed catalogs, but gosh, they are too full of must haves! My weakness at the moment is trees. I need a farm…

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's a realistic goal with property prices as they are here at the moment. I've seen small farms go for under e50,000.