tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I reworked my garden plan. I have been wanting to do no-till permanent "raised" bed system. I think this is the year for it. I calculated how much seed I need for intensive planting and ordered more seed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I reworked my garden plan. I have been wanting to do no-till permanent "raised" bed system. I think this is the year for it. I calculated how much seed I need for intensive planting and ordered more seed.
You know we will need details AND pictures!! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled weeds and tossed them to the chickens and pigs.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Nothing in the garden itself, but I bought 4 strawberry plants and one raspberry yesterday :) I'm looking for blue and black berries now. I put a handful of berries in my smoothie every morning, so I figured it would make a whole lot of sense to grow my own instead of buying them. Any extras I toss in the freezer for winter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been making seed tapes! They are soooooooooooo tedious! Stating my reasons to help others decide whether or not they want to try.

1) We have about 6" snow on the ground and have 9 - 15" coming in the forecast. Usually we would have grass by now and would be planting the garden in 3 weeks! I'm stir-crazy and wanting to garden!

2) Planting seeds is physically difficult for me, but making seed tapes is not physically difficult for me.

3) DH helps plant, which means he lazy-man-hijacks my garden plan and I'm always frustrated at how it goes. He dismisses the way I want to garden because a) it's different from what he does and b) he claims I don't have enough garden experience. And by that he is taking a dig at the amount of weeding I [haven't] done because y'know, it makes me pass out, no big deal. :mad::he But this will be my first summer diagnosed and with a treatment plan, so I'm confident I'll be more active in the garden. Especially if I don't do it his stupid (old fashioned, conventional, bare soil, heavy tilling) way.

4) DH has been working 60 - 70 hour weeks, so I have an opportunity to make the garden how I want. As long as I can plant it fast. :lol:

Seems like it takes me an hour to make a 30 foot seed tape, with 2" spacing. I have 6 done. Many more to go.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother , my plan is permanent raised/mounded beds, no till, and plant green manure groundcover in between beds. Intensive gardening to shade out weeds and companion planting to make that happen. I'm seeing a lot of spinach and leaf lettuce in my summer! :gig

We also have planted what we project to use for home canning, but also have aspirations for a market garden. Why am I planting 5 year old seeds? Why are we planting so little of each thing? Let's make that garden produce something other than weeds!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - I admire your tenacity! That has GOT to be tedious work - I'd be pulling my hair out by now, lol. But - you know what works for you so that's awesome!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my plan is permanent raised/mounded beds, no till, and plant green manure groundcover in between beds. Intensive gardening to shade out weeds and companion planting to make that happen.
That makes really good sense. That is usually my "plan" but I have a bad habit of changing plans, lol! I can usually use the fallow garden for a goat pen and then there goes everything!