1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Beekissed, May 9, 2017.

1. Apr 15, 2018
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

My seeds aren't germinating. I watered them. That's all I did in my make believe garden today. It rained all day yesterday. AGaIN. So. Um. Yeah. Whatever. Lol!

BarredBuff likes this.
  2. Apr 15, 2018
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

My berries are all in the garden, gooseberry seeds sowed this morning as well. I managed to get two of those tiny seeds where I wanted them, the wind did NOT help. But it's o.k. as long as they grow. I can always move a plant later... Or expand the berry patch. I finally got more roses in the ground too. The purple one and the two yellow ramblers, next to the stone wall, so they can grow over it.

@Beekissed I sowed pumpkin seeds. We're due warm weather in the next few days, so I am hopeful.

I need to rake clear the area where I want to plant the rest of my vegetables. Drag the poultry netting over there to keep the hens off it once I got the seeds in. It's raining on and off today though, with wind in-between. NOT nice gardening weather.

Beekissed and BarredBuff like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Yeah, probably pushing it...:D...but, go ahead! At least someone, somewhere has something performing. (It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right? :idunno) At the rate most of us are reporting, you may have the only tomatoes among us this year. :lol:

OK -- the last sentence is an awful thought :th

I have got to remove the backhoe, attach the disc and hit some pastures that need some rework. Have seed, need to plant! We have wind and clouds now, supposed to rain tonight & tomorrow -- hope it's slow & easy-- then nice for a while. I can ride my tractor all day Sunday!:clap

4. Apr 16, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I would be SO upset if I didn't have tomatoes! Let's hope not! I can't plant them until mid-May normally, so my snow now might not affect the growing season. :fl My tomatoes have just started sprouting, the first bunch have cotelydons up. And had to happen on cloudy days so they're already getting leggy! Noooooooo! Second bunch were just beginning to germinate today.

I'm indulging in gardening books from the library. 2 on hoophouse and greenhouse techniques today. More garden books ready for me to pick up at the library this week.

sumi likes this.
  5. Apr 16, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I built a kinda, sorta tomato trellis in one of the raised beds. It's so hillbilly, lol. I just took some long branches and stuck them in the ground then tied cross branches horizontally. I can tie the tomatoes to whatever piece of the hillbilly trellis is closest to them. I can also add more cross branches as they get taller and need more support. Staked a few more that were in tubs and watered, watered, watered.

6. Apr 16, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Heck-fahr! Just stick branches on both sides of the tomatoes! LOL

7. Apr 17, 2018
    Wannabefree

Still nothing. I wanna cry.

8. Apr 17, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I got another Baker Creek seed order in the mail. It may have been an excessive amount. I read a greenhouse/protected growing book over supper and talked with DH about my garden plan. I'm planting the seed, so to speak, that I do not want him tilling in my garden this year. He seems receptive so far? I think he knows I'm going to do it while he's at work and he won't get much say. And as long as he doesn't have to do much work, he'll be just fine with that!! :gig

9. Apr 17, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

WooHoo! Glad he's gonna get on the band wagon - not that he has much choice lol!

10. Apr 17, 2018
    Wannabefree

I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission in this instance too