sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm properly cleaning an area for and sewing assorted vegetables today. So far I raked the area I earmarked and started digging over a patch. Got carrot seed tapes and some swiss chard seeds in the ground. (I'm direct sowing). I'm going to see how far I can get today, but I'm hoping to get everything planted this afternoon, weather permitting. It's very windy out now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
YaY - hope it works out well! Do you have the hens penned?
No… I have a huge roll of plastic poultry netting/fencing that I'm going to use to pen them when the shed/coop is ready for them, but in the meantime I'm using that to keep them off my garden. It's only going to work until the seeds start coming up I though, so I'm a little pushed now. DS's OEG hen is a pest for plants. There is grass in the back now, but she's eating my roses :mad:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
And leg bands that stop them digging…

I sowed some more seeds, watermelon and zucchini. One patch's soil didn't look great, so DS got a bucket of leaf compost from the shed to put in there. Wow! Beautiful stuff :) Still got to sow cauliflower, cucumber, sweetcorn and peas. For some reason I forgot to get onion seeds and I need tomatoes out there as well, but since I eat a lot of them, I think I'll take some seeds from a fresh one and use that. I also saved some seeds from a mini pepper that I want to grow. Potatoes I need to figure out still. I have some roosters sprouting in the kitchen and I want to plant them out somewhere, but where and how is the thing…

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried to count tomato blooms...

image.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We got to 50 degrees today! :love. I set seedlings outside for 2 hours.

I also bought pepper seeds because mine haven't germinated and I'm getting nervous. And compressed coir substrate for starting seeds because I'm getting ready to plant another bath of trays as soon as I can get these out to the greenhouse (plastic tent). And a different brand of seed starter pellets that isn't wrapped in plastic to compare to jiffy brand. I like the pellets for cleanliness and keeping my hands warm/dry for the first round of planting in winter.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today we transplanted about 40 plants to replace some stuff that the first killed, and stuff that didn't come up at all. Then I hauled 5 or 6 more wheel narrows of woodchips to the orchard. Hopefully we are done with frosts

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm waiting for seeds to sprout. It should take another week I think, for most of them, though the pumpkins may show up soon. It was warm here the last 2 days and today is simply gorgeous again, though I hear we're in for more rain tomorrow.

@frustratedearthmother you are going to have lots of tomatoes! Those plants look great!