YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love this question!

DS10 and I dug many many baby thistles out of a small, bare spot of pasture. I seeded birdseed (mostly millet) and oats there - the only somewhat appropriate things I had on hand.

I planted 5# of poppy seed that had been in my freezer for several years. Had overwhelming germination last year, but the chickens ate the sprouts. Dang chickens! I can't get anything started in one of my gardens because of them! This time I scraped back grass and threw handfuls on patches of bare soil, raked the gras back over. I don't have high hopes, but I'm glad it's not in my freezer anymore.

I decided to start perennials that would be appropriate for cut flowers. I picked my location, decided what to plant - and how - and ordered seed. I'm way to excited about this! Not telling DH about my plan!

I transplanted some irises that I found barely growing in well-drained sandy soil. Nope! They prefer moist, even slightly clay-ish. I moved them to better soil. I found some other lilies, irises, and hostas to save from that location. Previous owner must have tried to grow a garden - there's landscape cloth down. I have quite a lot left to move!
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
What did I do in my garden today?
basic trimming watered the plants, checked for parasites, added wood as stand.. so far so good. :D:D:D

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That begs the question as to why in the world do you need a path to the garden right now? 😀

Ah, Bee. We do that because. Well... because! I visit my garden often in the winter. Even when the snow is DEEP! I always make sure to open the CP gate before things freeze up, so that I can access the garden when ever I want to. I'll often go out and just stand in the middle, surveying the beds, and dreaming of the season to come. This year, I have even more reason to visit. I built a nice big compost mound right in the middle. So... I dump some of my compostables there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we tie the gate shut so it doesn't get blown open and that is it for the season inside the fenced area vegetable gardens.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
Planted new beautiful plants in my garden today... Gumamela, Santan, Achuete plant, and Candle Bush... My daughter will be very surprised once she gets back home for the summer vacation. :):):)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my area, there are a few backyard gardens with greens still very evident. Until last couple of days -- mid 20 nights -- we've had less cold than normal. In fact, we can often dig the snow back and get greens to eat! (when there's snow).

Thankfully, no snow to date. Most gardens are now "over". But, it has been warm enough that I have a lot of vetch several inches tall, even a few dandelions blooming!

Of course, there's Feb to get through. It will be plant starting time here in just 2 weeks!! Can't believe it. :D

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plant starting....those of us in the Southern regions are chomping at the bit! Remember that some of the Fall crops can endure the cold when out late winter/early spring. I'm ready for a cold frame to start some of these soon. collecting up my "reuseables" now. Alas, need to till garden pretty soon for first go -- to rough out the top growth, get goat pellets into ground. Not deep, just hope to rot the things that need to rot. Can't believe I'll get a perfect garden or gardening year but, you never know! Miracles do happen. :D

Anyone else?? OK -- some of ya are still shoveling snow! :hide

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I looked longingly at my snow covered garden area and flipped through a seed catalog.
And talked to DH about what trees we want to buy for planting this spring. We want to plant a wildlife habitat area in the fallow field area.

Latest posts