flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this weather can't figure out what it wants to do this year. down low, then back up above freezing. wonder if the fruit trees are going to do anything for the farmers if this keeps up. they may flower way too early at this rate.

i'm just getting daydreams here about what i can get planted, what new seeds to try to get, so far i have some new beans and peas so those are always fun. i don't usually plant peas until mid-late-Apr and our warm weather crops get planted the end of May.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
Checked the space of my garden, I'm thinking about putting something in the middle of it. A fountain, A statue, Something to make striking attention... what would you guys suggest? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want a statue. I'm going to make one with hypertufa I think. Make a bowl in it to hold a plant.

Wear gloves if you do anything with cement. I have scars on my fingertips from the first time I messed with cement to make a dragon statue when I was around 21. Learned that lesson. That statue was so cute. I don't know what my ex-husband did with it.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked and ate some juicy rhubarb, scuffed up some weed seedlings out of the wood chips, fashioned a new garden gate out of an old section of picket fence.

It frosted heavy here last night and supposed to do it all again tonight, but nothing looks the worse for wear out there. The lettuce and other greens seem to love this cold weather, of course.
Did some farming, Got some tomatoes, potatoes, trimmed the flowers, watered the plants, Its a busy busy day. Then I took care of the kids as an extra. :D:D

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you work with cement, do wear gloves. The pH of the stuff, not to mention the abrasive nature of it is murder on the skin.

I walked around the perimeter of my yard, checking out all the animal tracks in the new snow. What I thought was possibly fox, coyote, or LARGE cat was actually small deer. Accompanied by very large deer. Dog has been going nuts every evening. Wants to go outside and bark at the creatures of the dark. I'm very happy to see deer tracks instead of canine! Would welcome domestic cat.

Continue to feed my compost piles. Keeping the chickens supplied with sprouts/fodder and germinated seeds.

Dreaming about future garden, baby ducks, incubating chicken eggs... building cold frames. And designing a combination cold frame/brooder/solar water heater for this spring and next winter's chicken/duck flock.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its too hot for me to do too much today. I moved some 4inch tall sunflower seedings into some water bottles, going to see how they go growing in the water. They grow much better in pots for me - I think the wild birds and rabbits have a lot to do with the lack of success in the ground 😝 I'd like to have enough grow so that I do not have to buy in seeds this year. All of the pets enjoy the plant and seeds as a treat.

I have been out every hour checking on the new duckling/hatchlings. It is not the ideal time for them to have hatched being so hot but I did not know the duck was broody until they were half cooked and thought her chosen nesting spot under the hedge might be adequate shelter. The mother duck is doing so well, but she keeps tipping the water over so I have to refill regularly. I don't mind though, the ducklings are adorable and I know they wont stay this tiny for long.

I plan to do a little hand watering at dusk, but I am not sure how much as the sun hurts my head!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had to do a double take when you said it was tooo hot - then remembered you're from Australia. :) We will get our heat soon enough. It'll go from spring to summer in about 4 hours here in Texas. Baby ducks are so cute! Hope they do well for you.

Latest posts