Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Watered the veggies and plants on the patio. Planted a couple of broccoli and radish seeds. Pulled up some weeds from a pot and the radish that got eaten by bugs. I moved some mulch around and packed the bottom of some new pots with duck poop and hay mulch to settle down a bit. Poured the rest of the boiling water from the kettle on the weeds in the driveway. It doesnt kill them for good, but kills them for a little while. Then fed the ducks left over fish and chips from dinner last night :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got the last garden inside the fence amended with the worms/worm castings. will plant it tomorrow morning with whatever beans i can decide to grow. nice to finally have gotten to this point on this project. yes, there will be pictures... :)

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Planted a leek seed and some sunflowers. I need to do some digging in of the winter bed. I have spring bulbs blooming! We're only a week into winter!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did SO much in the garden today. It was warm and I think I got sunburnt. I had a few hedges to trim back. Its a bit like giving the garden a hair cut, I dont realise how much better it looks until after they are done! The hedge that the ducks were hatched under could be cut back even more but it was a huge job. The ducks came to eat the bugs so I let them do that and will go back to it later. I dug up some of the good rich soil there to put in some pots I emptied.

I cut back the firethorn around the back. The wild birds love it, but if it got any bigger I wouldnt have been able to chop it down myself. There are two other firethorn bushes for them to nest in, There are still a couple limbs to take down but I got a lot of it down and cut small to go in the bin. I noticed a few broken branches on one of the bigger trees out there, they must have come down in that big storm but I only noticed now as they start to brown and die. I trimmed back some of the creeper along the back fence but there is more of that to do. It will be good timing to get the sunlight in there for winter.

I dug in 1/4 of the back bed and planted some kale seeds, and put a carrot top left over from my cooking to see if it sprouts, the others have done well like that so far. Quicker than from seed. There is more room but I dont have a whole lot of success with things from seed there so it might be better I wait til I have something to transplant from a pot. They are all too small at the moment. More weeding, more trimming. So much more to do.

I picked a couple lemons and limes to use in dinner. And retrieved a duck egg that had rolled down to the side of the shed. It doesnt sound like I did as much as I FEEL like I did haha.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I pulled more weeds today. About the time I get them all pulled, it will be time to start over. This is the row of Asian long beans and the Kentucky Wonder beans.

Before

D4043444-42D6-43B0-A522-0E3896B0B68D.jpeg

After

BA91F9E6-D499-453D-8E5B-BEC995C9FF8F.jpeg

This is the row between the Asian long beans and the tomato trellis. See the Black Eyed Susan wild flowers? They come up and I leave as many as I can. I love their bright cheery flowers.

Before

2CB2C2F1-5F62-4772-A822-D45E58EB9371.jpeg

After

F8016331-893D-4591-B27C-53857CE1BB86.jpeg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pulled more weeds today. About the time I get them all pulled, it will be time to start over. This is the row of Asian long beans and the Kentucky Wonder beans.

Before

View attachment 14107

After

View attachment 14108

This is the row between the Asian long beans and the tomato trellis. See the Black Eyed Susan wild flowers? They come up and I leave as many as I can. I love their bright cheery flowers.

Before

View attachment 14109

After

View attachment 14110

that's alot of work! my Asian bean were slow to take off this year. I guess they don't like the cool weather

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of weeding! Good job.

I didn't even walk into the garden today. I did get the 2nd apple tree fence surround up & let a couple goats in to graze. It's so heavy with stuff they didn't even know there were trees!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday evening, I weeded and thinned my onion beds and sprayed some homemade weed killer around the raised beds.

It really works!

61335060941__F6BF6824-3A57-4079-8A59-4D28F5DDC002.JPG

Latest posts