SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Started the day with watering my gravel bed for the tree farm and giving my chickens a few loads of horse manure

20200625_081311.jpg

20200625_080706.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked these ---- :celebrate

6.25.20.1.jpg

Fried bacon, then these & onions. YUM!! Dinner served.

Of course it rained -- again. appears we MAY have dry weather Fri & Sat. I hope to plant more things. And hill up the potato sprouting well. Have a lead on some hay mulch to follow up on in morning.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got 12 bales of the hay, $48. It had been cut and got light rain, so dry, turn, dry, bale to get off field. Not moldy or anything just no nutrition now. But nice big 55-60# bales, so great for bedding, mulch, etc. II've cut a couple open & few weed or seed, it's ok Cheaper than $6-8 a 40# straw bale. Heck, chickens can shred it for me. LOL -- not IN garden, that is. A chipper would be good right now.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have been cutting and pulling weeds for two days. That's it. I do have plenty of tomatoes, squash and cucumbers setting on. I have beans and potatoes loaded with blooms. I have cabbage ready to cut as well. It's look pretty good!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
busier than usual since my garden buddy is under the weather. :(

watering when i have to and mainly weeding in the morning until it gets too hot out. siesta the rest of the day, putter around when it gets cooler at night if it does. keep the birdbaths cleaned out once in a while. glad the strawberry season is mostly done. i may go out and see what is left later today if i want some fresh ones but i'm not sure what is there - it's been a few days since i last looked and the birds and chipmunks are certainly getting in there.

i'll have to do more mowing so that will take up more time than i like, but that's just the way it is.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope your garden buddy feels better soon! :)

thank you. we too for sure! :)

it is really sad, it may be some time before recovery, and i'm worried of course, it was a sudden thing and so that part is hard for everyone. we are coping with our usual humor and some issues here and there, but today was the first day there was some notable improvements so that at least is getting one foot in front of the other on this path we are weaving. :)

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picked green beans, cucumbers and finally tomatoes! They weren't fully ripe, but brought them in to ripen in the house. Also weeded my 2 tomato beds.

@flowerbug - I hope she continues to improve!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More squash! Yeah, they are doing great! :D In fact, I'm already thinking about "who" I can share with. I see it coming. Zucs next to them are now loading up on me, too.

Tomatoes have a lot of fruit set, still marble size. Cherry ones I've been picking a few every couple days....Only one plant, just to snack on while working and waiting on big ones. Eggplant have blooms & some set fruits. Yah! love eggplant parm. Radish & onions doing good. Lima beans are starting to bloom.

Woohoo -- beets are breaking ground!!!! A couple carrots but, way more of those that need to germinate! Beets were a "tape" I splurged on. Used to make them with TP but, this year TP was precious :p

No where near done planting but, sure is nice to see/get production!

It's especially exciting because I didn't have a garden at all last year -- and this new site is a challenge to whip into shape. :hide Plus way larger than I need just to start over, so a little daunting. It's encouraging when you "harvest" as it makes the work worth it. Now most of what I will plant now will be crops that won't be ready for a couple months. Never too old to learn. :old:lol: Some will be for animals, also.