flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Picked green beans, cucumbers and finally tomatoes! They weren't fully ripe, but brought them in to ripen in the house. Also weeded my 2 tomato beds.

@flowerbug - I hope she continues to improve!

i'm jealous of anyone getting tomatoes, or green or wax beans already! :)

thank you! :) she is.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have issues with hornworms! No tomatoes is 3 yrs, not even at this site and now -- boom!! Each morning I'm picking them off and squishing. Was on a mission for a black light flashlight and got what was probably the ONLY one in WM...looked for a long time, in many areas. Finally ONE -- I bought and went out tonight to try it. YES, found 3 little ones. Now RIPing. BUT every bug on the farm came to the light. WOW. Do not go out without long pants and long sleeves.....like I did. o_O Amazing little trick with the light though. Let's you find them earlier -- important because those things grow like a water balloon filling up!

Getting BT at TSC in morning!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sprayed BT on tomatoes! Watched another worm die. Sadistic? No. It shouldn't have been there. Hit the zuc & squash too -- thought I saw a little stink bug yesterday -- hate those things. They seem to like squash & I have crookneck, grey & dark zucs, plus butternut. Hit 'em all.

Tomorrow I'm home. Home to get a few more seeds out before the rain they predict late day.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Battling with the raccoons. My corn is thigh high and they are already trying to topple it. Some damage is done already. I set a live trap last night. They somehow stole all of the bait, and threw the trap. :mad:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I watched it being rained upon. :D

A hot 95+ all day, then a fast moving T-storm rolled in about 5:30 and gone about an hour later. Thunder and all! A real good downpour. While we have had a lot of daily rains, this last week has been hot & drier, so it was a needed rain. Saved me watering time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
raccoons are ok in the gardens here for the most part they only thing they go after is sweet corn. we don't eat enough sweet corn to make it worth growing, but if i were going to try to grow sweet corn here i would need a good fence with the right electric setup to keep them out.

i've tried to reduce their population before here by trapping them, but they will keep reproducing (and even at a faster rate if you trap them) so i've learned to live with them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I needed to water some plants last evening -- first time in a couple of weeks but, picked another pile of squash. About 7# and at $1.28 per in stores, figure I'm doing ok. over 30# so far. :D So as I was watering, also sizing up plants, it occurred to me that two of my "green pepper" plants were very different. Upon inspection -- Yep, they seem to be Jalapeno! o_O

I purchased some 6-packs of peppers...green, yellow, red and apparently, two of the slots had been switched out by "someone". There they are -- now showing the difference in the plant and the peppers on them! Well, I do use the very occasional Jalapeno but, these already have more set than I'd buy in 2 yrs. :lol: I'll share with a co-worker who loves them, after I save a few for future use.

Then, I pulled some radishes....ok, they are spicy hot! What? I think I have a pickled radish recipe. Guess I'll try it. :idunno

Tomatoes have a lot of small green fruit. Should have slicers about end of month! Good, I'm ready! The butternut squash plants are ragingly beautiful. There's my winter supply starting up. Limas & green string beans setting fruit. Potatoes doing fine.

Was way, way too hot & muggy to do much more. Especially after time spent dragging myself thru other chores. Animals were all hunkered down in the shade. I needed to do the same!.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The radishes in the pot have failed. The heat was too much. Bought some catnip plants, going to pot them up shortly

20200702_102457.jpg

Latest posts